Welcome to the Hatteras Owners Forum & Gallery. Sign Up or Login

Enter partial or full part description to search the Hatteras/Cabo parts catalog (for example: breaker or gauge)
+ Reply to Thread
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 1 2

Thread: Engine help

Re: Engine help

I am really new to mechanical of the Detroit 8v71 pls I’ll take all the ridicule with pictures, where are the impellers and pls talk to me like a 4th grader and should I just do like always and call a mechanic. I’m really trying to learn to do some of the basics.

thanks

Quote Originally Posted by dlbryan View Post
    I am really new to mechanical of the Detroit 8v71 pls I’ll take all the ridicule with pictures, where are the impellers and pls talk to me like a 4th grader and should I just do like always and call a mechanic. I’m really trying to learn to do some of the basics.

thanks
    An honest man for a change. Welcome! It's one of the easy ones.

The crayon was your idea.
    Attached Images
    Semper Siesta
    Robert Clarkson
    ASLAN, 1983 55C #343
    Charleston, SC

oops--my bad
    Last edited by ageless; 10-16-2019 at 10:22 PM.
    '88 55'C hull 394 ​BEATs Therapy
    12-71 TA's ZF BW190 1.5:1 gears

Quote Originally Posted by Liquid Asset View Post
    My engines have always run around 185-187. I know that the detroit manual says taht with 180degree thermostats it is common to see 197 degrees and that it is ok, but everone has always said that not to run them over 185 to 190. I can not figure out why, I am going ot pull the thermostats and see what they are since I have never had them out. I think t hey may need to be 170 degree thermostats. Can I run withouth thermostats in a Detroit? the manual says no, but thats not always correct. Detroits manual says that 200 degrees is ok and not to run them over 210.

I feel as if the engines are just running to hot and I want to get the temperature down. Any suggestions?
    I'm confused (or dumb lol). Few questions:

1. What temp are your engines currently running at? @ What RPM?
    ---- if you have temp readings at different rpm's it can often help pinpoint where the issue is.

2. How are you taking temp? Dash gauges? IR? Digital temp sensor?

I installed a digital temp sensor and we see 185-186 at cruise (1850rpm's). At WOT it creeps up, but we are still overproppped so I'm pretty sure that is the source of overloading so we don't stay at WOT long.

I know everyone is pointing you to engine/cooler components, and rightfully so. But the first question I would ask is what is your WOT rpm when loaded for your bahama's trip?

My last comment, running the engines cold, is almost as bad as running them on the high side of the temp window. I would NOT put cooler thermostats in unless there was a damn good reason, and running at 186deg is not a good reason to put in a lower temp thermostat. Running colder does NOT increase engine life. The engines were designed to run at a certain temp, in a perfect world they run that same temp all the time. But... at idle our cooling systems are WAAAYY overkill and at WOT they are just robust enough to do the job.
    Last edited by rustybucket; 10-16-2019 at 12:01 PM.
    SOUTHPAWS
    1986 52C Hull #391 8v92TI
    PENSACOLA, FL

Guys, GUYS!! It’s a 13 year old overheating issue post.
    Semper Siesta
    Robert Clarkson
    ASLAN, 1983 55C #343
    Charleston, SC

Quote Originally Posted by racclarkson@gmail.com View Post
    Guys, GUYS!! It’s a 13 year old overheating issue post.

Bwhahahahaha. who raised this from the dead??
    SOUTHPAWS
    1986 52C Hull #391 8v92TI
    PENSACOLA, FL