Welcome to the Hatteras Owners Forum & Gallery. Sign Up or Login

Enter partial or full part description to search the Hatteras/Cabo parts catalog (for example: breaker or gauge)
+ Reply to Thread
Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 1 2 3

Re: Diesel shortages

So there is more to this story than meets the casual eye. A lot of the shortages are spot shortages and is mostly caused by energy speculators. The US refineries are actually producing more diesel than is being consumed but it is being shipped to Europe (mostly) where the price is higher. Also the pipeline system is chock full of diesel now being piped to where it needs to go but what is in the pipelines only travels at 5-6 miles per hour and it will take a while to hit regional storage and distribution centers - FL is dependent on tankers because the pipeline system doesn't extend into FL...Check out the Youtube channel "What's up with Shipping" for a pretty good briefing on the whole situation.
    I would post the link but am a newbie poster and don't have enough posts to post...or something like that!

Thank you! I think this makes my 5th post so perhaps I won't need the assistance in the future...provided I feel I can add anything to the conversation.

Also, diesel competes in the middle of the barrel of crude with both home heating oil and JP, airplane fuel. And kerosene. I've had diesel vehicles for years and diesel generally goes up a bit in the fall. But not as much as it has recently.

Still no diesel in Annapolis today so our customers went to Galesville on the West River to fuel up. It was on their way, so it all worked out.
    Eric
    41TC 1966 Hull #53 "Requisite"
    Kent Island, MD/Ft. Lauderdale, FL

"Though she creaks - She holds"

I had to go to the fuel dock a month ago and my original intent was just to put a hundred gallons in each tank, most of my boating is just putting around in the river drinking and hanging out with friends, so that lasts me months. I didn’t want to top off because $7-something a gallon. Them I got a work phone call and by the time I was done I saw it coming out the overflow on the forward tank. At that point I said screw it, you can’t suck it back out so I topped the other tank off too. Now I’m really glad I did. Got lucky for once, woohoo!

Has i understand the Saudis just took 100% control of the largest us refinery, a sale that was begone in 2017.that may have some impact

Rank Refinery Barrels/Day Owner State
    1 Port Arthur Refinery 607,000 Saudi Aramco Texas
    2 Galveston Bay Refinery 593,000 Marathon Petroleum Texas
    4 Garyville Refinery 578,000 Marathon Petroleum Louisiana
    3 Baytown Refinery 560,500 ExxonMobil Texas
    5 Baton Rouge Refinery 520,000 ExxonMobil Louisiana
    6 Whiting Refinery 435,000 BP Indiana
    7 Lake Charles Refinery 418,000 Citgo Louisiana
    8 Beaumont Refinery 369,024 ExxonMobil Texas
    9 Los Angeles Refinery 363,000 Marathon Petroleum California
    10 Pascagoula Refinery 356,440 Chevron Mississippi
    Total operable atmospheric crude oil distillation capacity as of 1 January 2021. Source:[8]

Why are oil refineries closing?
    Even as oil and gas companies' profits soar, refineries across the country are being retired and converted to other uses as owners balk at making costly upgrades and America's pivot away from fossil fuels leaves their future uncertain,

Tankers are actual getting re-routed from Europe and Netherlands to the US east coast because our prices are above there at the moment. 1 tanker just arrived, a few re-routed last week. Also a good read is the the Jones act impact. Any US port to port tanker transfer requires a US flagged tanker. And the North East refineries are at full capacity. SO..... US flagged tankers are currently 2 times the international rate and booked up right now. They are considering a temp change to the regulation.
    Aperture
    1977 53' MY Hull #492

Barnegat lighthouse, LBI NJ