Welcome to the Hatteras Owners Forum & Gallery. Sign Up or Login

Enter partial or full part description to search the Hatteras/Cabo parts catalog (for example: breaker or gauge)
+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 LastLast

Diesel shortages

https://www.bloomberg.com/news/artic...-supplier-says

This was the talk of pretty much of everyone I spoke with at FLIBS. There were only a handful of sportfish/convertibles there and the brokers I talked to said the convertible market is dead. An oil broker friend of mine said if something doesn’t change the US will be out of diesel by thanksgiving. Having been through the 70’s the reality of this is starting to sink in.
    "DON'T BELIEVE ANYTHING YOU READ OR HEAR AND ONLY HALF OF WHAT YOU SEE" - BEN FRANKLIN

Endless Summer
    1967 50c 12/71n DDA 525hp
    ex Miss Betsy
    owners:
    Howard P. Miller 1967-1974
    Richard F Hull 1974-1976
    Robert J. & R.Scott Smith 1976-present

Re: Diesel shortages

What ever happened to those guys making biodiesel? I guess the newer common rail diesel engines can't run it? Not sure about that but good old mechanical diesels will drink it without complaining. Nothing wrong with exhaust smelling like french fries.

In the 70's we just kept adding diesel tanks so we had fuel for our trucking business. We would contract for fuel and hope to get it. Now its not so easy to add tanks but I can see hording and allocations hitting the little guy for sure.
    Sky Cheney
    1985 53EDMY, Hull #CN759, "Rebecca"
    ELYC on White Lake--Montague, MI

The thing not being discussed is that current refining capacity has followed the same trend as production. Putting crude in a can is one thing. Making it a useable commodity is a bigger issue currently.

5. Re: Diesel shortages

Walmart in St. Lucie County is out of diesel.

Article I read this morning says the Southeastern states will be most likely to see shortages.
    Sky Cheney
    1985 53EDMY, Hull #CN759, "Rebecca"
    ELYC on White Lake--Montague, MI

I'm going to fill up. I can get a half a year out of that staying slow and local. Genny will burn the most. We are lucky since Johns Pass is very close and a great place to anchor with a couple sandbars we can dink to. Diesel is now $2 more per gallon than regular gas. Wonder why??
    1966 34c
    1982 46 HP

Go Brandon.
    GLORY Hull # 365
    Northport, NY

Glad I’m not running the offshore canyons anymore. Used to burn average about 500 gallons for a day trip and 700 for an overnight trip. I’m 6 miles from FtPierce inlet and 11 miles to the fishing grounds now. Ave about 150 gallons for a full day trip. Gone are the days when I had a bulk contract price with Port petroleum to buy minimum 10,000 gallons per year and always went well beyond. Imagine how this is going to crush all the marine industries pleasure charters and commercial fishing. $100 per pound grouper anyone? Well there’s always farm raised tilapia fed with poison Chinese dog food.
    "DON'T BELIEVE ANYTHING YOU READ OR HEAR AND ONLY HALF OF WHAT YOU SEE" - BEN FRANKLIN

Endless Summer
    1967 50c 12/71n DDA 525hp
    ex Miss Betsy
    owners:
    Howard P. Miller 1967-1974
    Richard F Hull 1974-1976
    Robert J. & R.Scott Smith 1976-present

It would be something if it was only the marine industry and sport. Consider the impact on trucking and the costs associated with normal groceries etc..
    Regards
    Dan