Welcome to the Hatteras Owners Forum & Gallery. Sign Up or Login

Enter partial or full part description to search the Hatteras/Cabo parts catalog (for example: breaker or gauge)
+ Reply to Thread

Thread: Salon valance

Salon valance

Has anyone replaced or recovered the valance around the drapes?

Re: Salon valance

Quote Originally Posted by Schoej01 View Post
    Has anyone replaced or recovered the valance around the drapes?
    I've recovered them twice in the last 19 years of ownership. What would you like to know?
    Sky Cheney
    1985 53EDMY, Hull #CN759, "Rebecca"
    ELYC on White Lake--Montague, MI

3. Re: Salon valance

When I took the fabric off my valances I found beautiful solid wood. I decided to clean them up and apply a rubbed effect varnish. The varnished wood gave it a more modern feel inside.
    Attached Images
    SCUSI
    1981 55C
    Hull #: 328

I have been on boats where the owners had removed the valences. Really made the salons seem much larger. So I considered removing mine which came originally varnished. But the boat's salon lighting was mounted there, two 12v lights and two 120v. I would also have had to modify the curtain mounting system in some way. I decided it was too much trouble. Since then I have utilized the space behind the valences for a number of wire runs for radar, antennas and a depthsounder. Unobtrusive and lots easier than going up through the crowded wire runs to the flybridge. And, I suppose, it keeps the boat original.
    Jim Grove, Fanfare 1966 50MY Hull #22 (Delivered Jan. 7, 1966)

"LIFE IS JUST ONE DAMNED THING AFTER ANOTHER." Frank Ward O'Malley, Journalist, Playwright 1875-1932

These are what I have now. I want to lighten the look, already changed to white blinds from off white, I want to change to a light blue or other nautical inspiration. I am a less is more type of person so nothing wild.
    Attached Images

I had plywood under cheetah print fabric, previous owner decorated in a jungle theme. Those valances were attached to very nice mahogany that matched the rest of the wood inside. I sanded, fixed screw holes and rubbed in teak oil, the salon never looked better after that.

Walt Hoover

I recovered mine. It was pretty easy with an electric stapler. I found nice teak wood under mine but it needed a coat of varnish to shine like the rest of the wood and the wife had already bought the fabric. She wanted fabric so that is what I did

IMG_0519.jpg

Quote Originally Posted by cenger View Post
    When I took the fabric off my valances I found beautiful solid wood. I decided to clean them up and apply a rubbed effect varnish. The varnished wood gave it a more modern feel inside.
    Love your blinds. We are planning to install similar, but are concerned they will flip in beam seas. Are your blinds attached at the bottom to prevent swinging?

Installed wooden blinds a few years ago. They sit inside the frame, not on the face. We secured the bottoms by putting stick-on
    Velcro on the frame and the bottom of the blind. A one inch square on each end prevents swinging in big seas.
    Last edited by divert00; 10-10-2022 at 04:03 PM.

I wrestled with this for a few pages after this first post: https://www.samsmarine.com/forums/sh...765#post390765

It seems my 52C has mahogany veneer plywood while the 55Cs had a solid piece of wood for the valance. I was going to put a band piece of veneer on the edge of the plywood and finish them, but wifey stepped-in and said she wanted fabric. So, I ended up finding a nice blue-with-gold fabric online and stapling it on.
    It was easy, but be careful not to tear the styrofoam pad under the existing fabric while removing the old stuff. With that foam intact, you simply pull the new fabric tight and staple it around. Pretty simple project and it really made a big difference - in the look and the smell!

edit: I see it took about 10 pages before I finished the valances. https://www.samsmarine.com/forums/sh...344#post394344
    Last edited by JuiceClark; 10-10-2022 at 09:56 PM.
    At the mouth of the Caloosahatchee
    1984 52C