Welcome to the Hatteras Owners Forum & Gallery. Sign Up or Login

Enter partial or full part description to search the Hatteras/Cabo parts catalog (for example: breaker or gauge)
+ Reply to Thread
Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 LastLast

Re: Galley Maid windlass replacement

Correct. The problem with the Hatteras set up is that the shaft has to be extra long to make it thru the thick pulpit and under the deck. I looked into replacing the galley maid before rebuilding it and while it was possible to have a prop shop or matching shop make a new shaft I figured I may as well rebuild the GM. After all it had lasted 49 years at that point

Down side of the GM is the slow speed. When dropping I usually just pull the chain of the gypsy and let it run against the line capstan
    Pascal
    Miami, FL
    1970 53 MY #325 Cummins 6CTAs
    2014 26' gaff rigged sloop
    2007 Sandbarhopper 13
    12' Westphal Cat boat

Quote Originally Posted by Pascal View Post
    Correct. The problem with the Hatteras set up is that the shaft has to be extra long to make it thru the thick pulpit and under the deck. I looked into replacing the galley maid before rebuilding it and while it was possible to have a prop shop or matching shop make a new shaft I figured I may as well rebuild the GM. After all it had lasted 49 years at that point

Down side of the GM is the slow speed. When dropping I usually just pull the chain of the gypsy and let it run against the line capstan
    They sell a wheel attachment for the top of it that you can de-clutch it to let the chain freefall. I've only ever seen one or two boats with it though. Like me, I think everybody is just used to finishing 2 beers and reading the newspaper while holding the down button. I do most of my boating in rivers so it's not a huge issue for me, but I can see how it would become very annoying if that weren't the case. Lemme see if I can find you a picture, I bet GM can sell you one.

Quote Originally Posted by cww View Post
    That doesn't necessarily translate to hatterases, hatterai?, though.
    Hard to tell the difference between the ole Bert MY and Hatt MY bows.
    Both have a big pulpit bolted down on the bow.
    Bertram just kept everything on the deck with a horizontal windlass, Hatt went with the vertical.

GM & Ideal are both dinosaurs.
    In operating ours and other mfg windlasses on different boats, the newer equipment just works better & faster. No matter if vertical or hotz.

Just contributing my pennies worth.

Free fall windlasses are pretty sweet.
    FTFD... i drive a slow 1968 41c381

5. Re: Galley Maid windlass replacement

I have an '87 41C with just manual style "up" 12V windlass as well. It's a 2 person endeavor to raise the anchor, and my wife just isn't comfortable at the helm with me on the bow. Really want to upgrade to something I can control from the helm/flybridge. I'd go with all chain rode if necessary.

Suggestions for successful swap outs?

Many thanks!
    Moon Howler

New wife?
    Jim Grove, Fanfare 1966 50MY Hull #22 (Delivered Jan. 7, 1966)

"LIFE IS JUST ONE DAMNED THING AFTER ANOTHER." Frank Ward O'Malley, Journalist, Playwright 1875-1932

Quote Originally Posted by Moonhowler View Post
    I have an '87 41C with just manual style "up" 12V windlass as well. It's a 2 person endeavor to raise the anchor, and my wife just isn't comfortable at the helm with me on the bow. Really want to upgrade to something I can control from the helm/flybridge. I'd go with all chain rode if necessary.

Suggestions for successful swap outs?

Many thanks!
    Moon Howler
    I don’t understand why it is a two person job. Is it because it is a line and it has to be helped? Or the line - chain splice gets stuck? If you want to raise anchor from the helm all you need is run wires to the solenoid in the anchor locker and ideally use all chain. Or at least enough chain for the conditions you usually anchor in. For instance if you anchor mostly in 10-15’ of water, 100’ chain plus line would work since you ll rarely use the line

There are also wireless remotes you can rig to control the windlass from the helm. you can find bean name wireless like from Lewmar or get cheaper no brand name on Amazon. I ve used them. Works fine and easier than running wires from the bow

The down side of not having someone at the bow is you can’t rinse the chain. Unless you rig an electric valve and a fixed nozzle.
    Pascal
    Miami, FL
    2007 Sandbarhopper 13
    12' Westphal Cat boat

Hey Pascal, I finally found a picture from another forum member, here’s the windlass that comes on our boats with the optional clutch control wheel installed on top of it. It lets you clutch and declutch the gypsy so that you can either free fall the chain or use the capstan part of the windlass if you want. Like I said, I’ve only ever seen one or two boats with it, I think everybody is just used to holding the button down for 15 minutes. But it’s definitely a thing and I bet galleymaid will sell you one.
    Attached Images

Thanks. Interesting. It looks like a wheel you can turn by hand. Probably also acts like a brake when dropping I really deep water. We usually anchor in shallow water so I just pull the the chain off the gipsy and let slide along the upper line capstan
    Pascal
    Miami, FL
    2007 Sandbarhopper 13
    12' Westphal Cat boat

I don’t know if mine is unique but I have a big nut on the top of the windlass and a big bar to release it for free fall. It is either a Galley Maid or Ideal windlass
    Mahalo V
    1974 53 Motoryacht
    Hull Number 406
    San Diego, Ca. Ready 32 Nordic Tug, Brunswick Ga.