Welcome to the Hatteras Owners Forum & Gallery. Sign Up or Login

Enter partial or full part description to search the Hatteras/Cabo parts catalog (for example: breaker or gauge)
+ Reply to Thread

58 YF water in master

We fared better than others from Ian. We took 92 mph winds against the stern. I’m preparation , I taped up the master stateroom window which has leaked on me in the past.Against The rear bulkhead carpet is soaking wet. Some of the built in dresser drawers are wet inside. The window didn’t leak. Where is this water coming from? Everything else is dry. The bildge that backs up to that bulkhead is also dry. I cannot figure out how that must water got in and soaked the carpet. Any thoughts?
    David Moore
    1973 Hatteras 58 Yacht Fisherman
    Whimsy

Charleston, SC.

Re: 58 YF water in master

Talk a close look at the hose from the aft deck drain. On a 61 CPMY it's accessed through the cabinet in the head.
    Eric
    41TC 1966 Hull #53 "Requisite"
    Kent Island, MD/Ft. Lauderdale, FL

"Though she creaks - She holds"

Just experienced this on our 61 MY during Ian only in our guest bedroom. After tearing apart the closet, found the elbow from the port mid drain completely disintegrated. Quick trip to the big box store and a few cuss words later all is repaired. Note to self, check the other 3 drains this week!
    1985 61MY #369 / Redonna Gail / N Myrtle Beach SC

My drains are at the other end of the master forward toward the head on one side and the closet on the other. I’ll dig in but unless the water is twinning back toward the stern that’s not it. I think I can access both through the Chest and the closet. They would run down the into the Bildge with their location. Noting forward of the wet spot to the drains locations are wet.
    David Moore
    Whimsy

Charleston, SC.

Quote Originally Posted by dmoore1200 View Post
    We fared better than others from Ian. We took 92 mph winds against the stern. I’m preparation , I taped up the master stateroom window which has leaked on me in the past.Against The rear bulkhead carpet is soaking wet. Some of the built in dresser drawers are wet inside. The window didn’t leak. Where is this water coming from? Everything else is dry. The bildge that backs up to that bulkhead is also dry. I cannot figure out how that must water got in and soaked the carpet. Any thoughts?
    I have a 53YF. Had a similar issue albeit not Hurricane related yet water on the stateroom floor. First off the cockpit hatch covers are horrible when it comes to managing rain water. They get over whelmed and water ends up in the bilge. I can only imagine the rain you had. In my case the water made its way into the accommodation from the bulkhead between the stateroom and the space under the cockpit. It’s a plywood bulkhead which had gotten punky over time and allowed water to flow through it. May want to check that out. As for the drawers…. No idea. I did have some water damage from rain water blown into the aft head fan clam shell…. but that was all on dresser tops.

I’ll check that out. I have a fuel tank in the forward side of the cockpit. I can’t get between. I’ll try to scope that out. Water seems to flow pretty well out of the cockpit but that’s a good start. Only other thing would be maybe it’s coming in the rub rail somehow on the side but I would think that would run down not into the floor.
    David Moore
    Whimsy

Charleston, SC.

maybe some of the hard top supports or rail bases
    Mis b' havin
    1972 58 yachtfish
    58yf352
    pass christian, ms.

With all the major rocking could your water tanks have developed a leak or crack?
    SEVEN
    1979 53' MY Hull #563
    Antioch, California

My stupid self taped the window itself up. I didn’t tape the edge of the frame around the bulkhead. That’s what’s been leaking. With the amount of water it just dumped right down the back side of the boat right into the edge of the frame.
    David Moore
    Whimsy

Charleston, SC.

Easy fix. Glad you found it.
    SEVEN
    1979 53' MY Hull #563
    Antioch, California