Welcome to the Hatteras Owners Forum & Gallery. Sign Up or Login

Enter partial or full part description to search the Hatteras/Cabo parts catalog (for example: breaker or gauge)
+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Oil in bilge on top of a lot of water. Best way to remove?

Does anyone have any tricks on how to get oil out of the bilge when it is floating on a bunch of water?

I have heard of using a shop vac and skimming the oil off the top as one option - hate the idea of trashing a shop vac though.

Just wondering if there are any better ways.

I don't want the bilge pump to kick on and pump any of this outside the boat!

Thanks!
    1980 53' Hatteras MY, Hull # 592

"Moon River" <-- Finally picked a name

Re: Oil in bilge on top of a lot of water. Best way to remove?

How much oil we talking? 1gal? 20gals?
    Oil absorb pads (that do not absorb water) is pretty easy but kinda slow. Just spread them on the top til they become saturated, trash and replace with new until your oil is gone.

I'd keep the bilge pumps off til you get it cleaned up.

Old fashioned dipping cup poured into a bucket is probably the fastest way.
    SOUTHPAWS
    1986 52C Hull #391 8v92TI
    PENSACOLA, FL

Oil absorbing pads is the best way to handle this.

A thin layer of oil is unlikely to be pumped by the bilge pump as the pump will start sucking air before the oil layer can reach it
    Pascal
    Miami, FL
    1970 53 MY #325 Cummins 6CTAs
    2014 26' gaff rigged sloop
    2007 Sandbarhopper 13
    12' Westphal Cat boat

Quote Originally Posted by rustybucket View Post
    How much oil we talking? 1gal? 20gals?
    Oil absorb pads (that do not absorb water) is pretty easy but kinda slow. Just spread them on the top til they become saturated, trash and replace with new until your oil is gone.

I'd keep the bilge pumps off til you get it cleaned up.

Old fashioned dipping cup poured into a bucket is probably the fastest way.
    I don't think it's a lot, hard to tell without sticking my hand in it which I don't want to do.

I think it's only a quart or so I'm guessing.

I ordered the bucket pump, I'll give that a shot or the scoop method you mentioned and see what happens. I have some of the pig blankets, maybe try that too.

Yuck! Better than working on a plugged head I suppose!

Quote Originally Posted by Pascal View Post
    Oil absorbing pads is the best way to handle this.

A thin layer of oil is unlikely to be pumped by the bilge pump as the pump will start sucking air before the oil layer can reach it
    I will try that too. That should help too when trying to get the last bits of it out.
    Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by Bob Quinn View Post
    I don't think it's a lot, hard to tell without sticking my hand in it which I don't want to do.

I think it's only a quart or so I'm guessing.

I ordered the bucket pump, I'll give that a shot or the scoop method you mentioned and see what happens. I have some of the pig blankets, maybe try that too.

Yuck! Better than working on a plugged head I suppose!
    Most pig blankets absorb water too, so they won't help you too much. You need the white square pads available at most hydraulic shops. The problem with draining the water from underneath is it leaves a thick oil coating on everything as the levels drop. Easier to get it out when it's floating on water.
    SOUTHPAWS
    1986 52C Hull #391 8v92TI
    PENSACOLA, FL

o.k. I think I found the easiest way.
    I used my oil change bucket/pump. It came with a small 1/4" plastic hose that is meant to go down the dipstick hole.

By placing the tip of the hose right at the surface of the oil I was able to suck out the top layer and it worked very well. It was a little tricky keeping it at just the top layer but worked good.

Turns out it was just a thin layer of oil. I pulled out about 5 gallons of water/oil total and maybe a couple quarts give or take was actually oil.

When I was done I had nothing but clear water left.
    It wasn't fast, I think I sat there for probably an hour or more and had to drain my bucket once into another 5 gallon storage container.

I'm going to let it settle and do a final clean up next weekend and see if I can get the last bits of oil out.

I feel much better about the situation now with little to no oil in the bilge.
    Still some other areas to tackle but now at least I have the bulk of it out and know it wasn't near as much oil as it could have been.

Another trick I have used is taking 2 layers of paper towels folded over and laying it on top. The trick is to take the paper towel off when it has absorbed the oil but before it takes in too much of the water. Pretty quick and catches most if not all of the floating oil.
    John
    1981 58 Yachtfish Hull 477
    Wickford RI

On the 2000 horsepower tug I run (!) I use an oil skimmer. You can buy them or make one.https://www.vevor.com/belt-oil-skimm...CABEgIUhfD_BwE
    yachtsmanWILLY

I used to think I knew everything until I found the experts HERE; Now I know I dont know SQUAT

www.flybridge.proboards.com
    Uncensored, no nonsense boating fun for adults

Quote Originally Posted by yachtsmanbill View Post
    On the 2000 horsepower tug I run (!) I use an oil skimmer. You can buy them or make one.https://www.vevor.com/belt-oil-skimm...CABEgIUhfD_BwE

Nice!