Welcome to the Hatteras Owners Forum & Gallery. Sign Up or Login

Enter partial or full part description to search the Hatteras/Cabo parts catalog (for example: breaker or gauge)
+ Reply to Thread

Always check the small things... and looking for advise.

Went to get off the dock on Saturday and upon starting the port side noticed alt meter was pulsing, as if something was drawing, requesting current. No pattern to it just randomly. Went down to ER and heard clicking which matched the pulsing. Quickly shut it down and had the "first mate" start her up again so i could try to diagnose. Determined it was in the battery distribution box as well as the starter area. First thought was the solenoid in battery box. Checked out with multimeter but replaced with spare "just in case", no change. It sounded as if starter was trying to engage although button wasn't being pushed. (Should of been my first item checked, but no had to "ass"ume it something bigger!!!) Spent multiple hours checking and diagnosing everything i could think of in the distribution box and starter, all checked out. Suddenly a bell went off while tracing and confirming everything from the starter back to ignition switch was intact and connections were secure. While walking from the ER to the helm it dawned on me, a month or so back i had installed a small 32v to 12v transformer to install a usb at the helm and guess where i had tapped, yup the port starter button. Removed transformer, reconnected button and voila, no more issues. (Although i have started and ran several times since install with no issues) my suspicion is bad connection or possibly faulty transformer...

So any advise from the brain trust on where to tap the transformer for usb power at the helm that may not cause issues?
    1985 61MY #369 / Redonna Gail / N Myrtle Beach SC

Re: Always check the small things... and looking for advise.

Transformer on a DCv ckt? Or a power supply?
    How confident are you that this device is a real 32v option.
    Some devices say 30 or 32V input but we must remember, our 32V boats operate past 36 volts.
    One of the members learned this the hard way with Nav LED lights.

What are you using to power your electronics especially the VHF which usually only comes in 12v ?

I m really not a fan of using transformers and converters especially the cheap ones made in china. If I had to tap somewhere I would use a non critical circuit like interior lights and make sure that transformer has a fuse in the feed.

I don’t have any USB plugs at either helm since we always use the generator. Only use AC power to charge phones or tablets
    Pascal
    Miami, FL
    1970 53 MY #325 Cummins 6CTAs
    2014 26' gaff rigged sloop
    2007 Sandbarhopper 13
    12' Westphal Cat boat

Same/similar thing happened to me 2 boats ago, the starter switch on the helm was bad and making intermittent contact. It ended badly with the starter engaging while I was underway and resulting in a minor engine room fire. This is not something you want to play with, find another source to tap into.