Welcome to the Hatteras Owners Forum & Gallery. Sign Up or Login

Enter partial or full part description to search the Hatteras/Cabo parts catalog (for example: breaker or gauge)
+ Reply to Thread

3000w Inverter/Charger

So, I have decided to do an inverter install this winter.

Who has the best 12v 3000w inverter charger? Quality/Reliability is the biggest concern and the ability to monitor the battery bank easily is my second.

I plan on using a (2) 8d existing bank that just starts the port motor. My other bank starts the other motor and the generator. It will be a long run on the battery cables to establish a new bank. But if it becomes necessary, I am installing everything where it can easily be added.

Re: 3000w Inverter/Charger

Whatever inverter not made in china . I believe magnums are still made in the US for instance. Also make sure you get a marine unit with the required relay on N to G bonding. Not an off grid or RV unit

I would not run the inverter off a starting bank. Even if you have a parallel switch or solenoid. The frequent cycling of the bank is going to weaken that bank. And if you do, make sure you disconnect the charger from that bank and use the inverter build in charger

Personally I prefer using a dedicated bank for inverters. This way you don’t affect house systems like heads or bilge pumps. Good cart batteries are great for inverters and much easier to handle
    Pascal
    Miami, FL
    1970 53 MY #325 Cummins 6CTAs
    2014 26' gaff rigged sloop
    2007 Sandbarhopper 13
    12' Westphal Cat boat

Re: 3000w Inverter/Charger

talk to scott, boatsb on the forum, he does this for a living
    Mis b' havin
    1972 58 yachtfish
    58yf352
    pass christian, ms.