Welcome to the Hatteras Owners Forum & Gallery. Sign Up or Login

Enter partial or full part description to search the Hatteras/Cabo parts catalog (for example: breaker or gauge)
+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

replace naiad hose and fitting

I have a leak in one of my naiad hoses and need to replace it. I think this is a DIY kind of project but wanted to cast the net for information. Has anyone done such a job?

Re: replace naiad hose and fitting

This is a DIY repair, but let me caution you that any debris that gets into the system will plug up the little orifices in the control head. You MUST flush the new lines out before install. Any little particle from cutting the lines and installing the ends on them will cause problems. If the hydraulic shop is just blowing the lines out with air, that is not good enough.
    Sky Cheney
    1985 53EDMY, Hull #CN759, "Rebecca"
    ELYC on White Lake--Montague, MI

Great advice....thanks Skycheny

The good shops will shot a rubber plug through the line to clean it. Then they cap it so nothing get it during install.
    SEVEN
    1979 53' MY Hull #563
    Antioch, California

Quote Originally Posted by SEVEN View Post
    The good shops will shot a rubber plug through the line to clean it. Then they cap it so nothing get it during install.
    Naiad told me that is not good enough either. It needs to be flushed out.
    Sky Cheney

I just replaced the main pressure line from the pump to the filter housing. 5100psi and ends, lots of hose shops around. $110.

Are you sure it is a hose? Where is your suspect leak?
    At the fin actuator, there is a valve that we have serviced on other boats because of strange oil leaks. Then the older cylinder ends may leak.

Quote Originally Posted by Captain Ralph View Post
    Are you sure it is a hose? Where is your suspect leak?
    At the fin actuator, there is a valve that we have serviced on other boats because of strange oil leaks. Then the older cylinder ends may leak.
    Most common leak is the feedback assembly.
    Sky Cheney

Given the pressures in those lines, if it's a small leak,as mentioned, it's probably the feedback servo or a cylinder. The good news is, they are both DIY jobs. Had both my Parker Hanifin cylinders redone by a local hydraulic shop, $150 for both, and 1 required a new gland.

If it does turn out to be the cylinder, be careful removing the top plate with jack screws. It's easy to get the cams on the cylinder in a bind.
    Attached Images