Welcome to the Hatteras Owners Forum & Gallery. Sign Up or Login

Enter partial or full part description to search the Hatteras/Cabo parts catalog (for example: breaker or gauge)
+ Reply to Thread

Ceramic coating the hull

Hello all-

This spring I could not arrange for or, do a decent detail job before we took off for the summer so I had to live with the fender rub marks and streaking. The last three days have been spent cleaning and polishing the hull and applying a ceramic coating to protect her. I am impressed and have been told to expect it to still be in great shape after the winter. I hope so, here are a few shots...

This is 46 year old paint too -

side shine.jpgBow shine.jpgside shine 2.jpg

When I finish today I'll get a full side view taken. Cheers!
    Matt
    1976 58' YF, Hull #410
    "Time Out West"

Re: Ceramic coating the hull

What brand coating did you use? Thanks

Nice. I wish mine looked like that.
    ENUFF. 1983 53MY.Hull #617 Barnegat Light Nj.

From Amazon of course:Glidecoat Marine CeramicCoating (160ml) - Nano CeramicCoating for Boats, Cars -BetterThan Car Wax Polish and MoreDurable than Regular CeramicCoating for Cars -ExtremelyDurable Coating and Sealant$195.00 Prime FREE DeliverySold by: Onan Technologies Inc. DBAGlidecoatQuantity: 2
    Matt
    1976 58' YF, Hull #410
    "Time Out West"

Looks great! What did you put it on with and take it off with?
    Eddie Clemons Nashville, TN Southern Pride 1988 52CHATCS441K788 2004 Caterpillar 3406e's

That is amazing! Did it shine like that before the ceramic coating or did the ceramic coating add some shine to it?
    1980 53' Hatteras MY, Hull # 592

"Moon River" <-- Finally picked a name

Yes the original paint still had a shine to it but it badly needed polishing out the scratches, stains and fender rub marks. I didn’t get a before pic. It was a little embarrassing. The hull got washed and we polished it with standard electric tools and a light cut polish. The ceramic coat is thin and watery, goes on with a sponge applicator. A few square feet at a time to let it flash off a little. Then rub it out or in with a rag. The yellow Costco rags worked well. It took four days, half a hull side a day. It’s supposed to last quite awhile too. I'll let you know. The ceramic coat brought back all of the shine you see. Oops. Can’t upload an iPhone .mov file. ???
    Last edited by dar636; 09-26-2022 at 10:14 PM. Reason: Typo
    Matt
    1976 58' YF, Hull #410
    "Time Out West"