Welcome to the Hatteras Owners Forum & Gallery. Sign Up or Login

Enter partial or full part description to search the Hatteras/Cabo parts catalog (for example: breaker or gauge)
+ Reply to Thread

Dumb fuel tank question

73 58YF….I’ve got an aft tank, a forward tank and a midship tank.Obviously I know where the aft tank is. There is a tank under the guest stateroom bunk,And a tank under the floor centerline behind the engine rooms.So which is the midship and which is the forward ? They seem to both midship location wise. The boat also came with a wooden dowel marked that was stored in the bow stateroom and there is a fuel intake on the bow also. Are there actually 4 tanks? There are only three on the fuel selector. What am i missing here?
    David Moore
    1973 Hatteras 58 Yacht Fisherman
    Whimsy

Charleston, SC.

Re: Dumb fuel tank question

The two forward fuel tanks are in the keel under the floor. The tank you're seeing under the bunk is a water tank.

onmy 1972 58 yf the tanks are as follows
    tank under the cockpit to the stern is water
    tank under cockpit to the front is aft fuel tank
    tank under port side inside bed is water tank
    mid tank under the floor with the hoses and guage just aft of the hallway door is mid fuel
    tank under the floor with hoses and gauge just forward of the hallway door is the forward fuel tank
    tank under the v berth floor is either holding tank, auxillary fuel or extra water tank, these tanks were used for whatever the original owner specified
    Mis b' havin
    1972 58 yachtfish
    58yf352
    pass christian, ms.

I have the same as the above post, 76 YF, but also have a tank on the starboard side under the galley dinette outboard of the starboard engine batteries. Its not used at the moment, and I haven't gone under to see the capacity decal yet. Anyone have the same tank?
    Matt
    1976 58' YF, Hull #410
    "Time Out West"

dar636. That’s a holding tank. Forward head.

Quote Originally Posted by dar636 View Post
    I have the same as the above post, 76 YF, but also have a tank on the starboard side under the galley dinette outboard of the starboard engine batteries. Its not used at the moment, and I haven't gone under to see the capacity decal yet. Anyone have the same tank?
    That’s a holding tank. You need to look at your specs. HATTERAS should have them for sale. It’s a must buy.
    SEVEN
    1979 53' MY Hull #563
    Antioch, California

Sometimes that fwd tank was set up for fuel/ sometimes for waste. My old boat was set up for fuel and had a transfer pump which would pump it into the aft tank. The tank had no other connections other than the ability to pump it aft. Could be why three fuel selector positions and 4 tanks ....Pat

Quote Originally Posted by SEVEN View Post
    That’s a holding tank. You need to look at your specs. HATTERAS should have them for sale. It’s a must buy.
    I believe it’s been rearranged as there is a waste tank in the starboard engine room and they pump out used to be a fuel input. There is a forward tank, but I can’t tell what it is. I’m going to need to start investigating closer.
    David Moore
    1973 Hatteras 58 Yacht Fisherman
    Whimsy

Charleston, SC.

Thanks - (Holding tank) that is what I thought as the boat originally had vacu-flush heads and a pump out in the toe rail. Now the boat has raritan heads and uses the bow centerline tank as the holding tank, plenty of capacity there.

I'll have to look and find out how they decomissioned that STBD tank, could it possibly be cleaned out enought to hold fuel?
    Matt
    1976 58' YF, Hull #410
    "Time Out West"

One of the great benefits of Hatt's center-line tanks is port/stb trim issues are avoided. Just a lil thought for aft trim but usually micro degrees and not a big deal.

When port/stb auxiliary tanks are involved, some thought is always needed to keep that frying pan level.
    Still not a big woo, but uneven crepes may tic off the cook.