Welcome to the Hatteras Owners Forum & Gallery. Sign Up or Login

Enter partial or full part description to search the Hatteras/Cabo parts catalog (for example: breaker or gauge)
+ Reply to Thread

Interior light dimming - 2000 Hatteras 60 Convertible

Hello All,
    I am trying to convert my interior lighting from halogen to led and have some questions about the method used to arrive at the 24v AC at the overhead lamps.

My technician tells me there are several 110 to 30v transformers in a forward locker, and it appears one of two things is happening:

1. The conventional slide wall dimmer is reducing the voltage to the transformer, resulting in an output of 30v-> 0v.

Or

2. 30v is supplied to the dimmer and it is reducing that voltage to the overhead lamps.I believe it is #2 since there are many dimming circuits in the boat, yet only a couple of transformers.

Can anyone clarify this or supply a simple diagram?

Thanks so much
    Last edited by thomasbowen; 09-24-2022 at 10:24 AM.

Re: Interior light dimming - 2000 Hatteras 60 Convertible

Have you tried measuring the voltage at the dimmers?

One issue when converting to LEDs on boats where lights are powered by 120v transformers is that you must buy 24v AC/DC LED bulbs. 24 VDC LED bulbs will not work.
    Pascal
    Miami, FL
    1970 53 MY #325 Cummins 6CTAs
    2014 26' gaff rigged sloop
    2007 Sandbarhopper 13
    12' Westphal Cat boat

On one Hatt, we removed the transformers and installed 120Vac dimable drivers for the pin based led replacement lights.

Thanks for the replies so far.
    I did not measure the voltage at the dimmer, but was told it was 110 vac. The dimmer was then reducing the voltage at the transformer (from 30>0 vac).

That made sense to me until I realized there were many more dimmable circuits than there were transformers, so I began to suspect the transformer was taking 110 vac on the primary, providing 30 vac on the secondary, and that voltage was what was going to multiple dimmer controls.circuits.

Before I go ordering led drivers etc, I am just trying to completely understand how it is wired right now.

Again, appreciate all the help.

Thomas

the answer is that some of the low voltage lights are driven by transformers and some are wired into the 24 volt DC (aka batteries) . You can kill the ac at the panel and check which lights still come on. Some areas have both ac (transformer) and dc (battery)driven lights , such as my pilothouse ....Pat

Pat,I think all my interior overhead lights are driven from the transformer. There must be more transformers than my tech has found.Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by thomasbowen View Post
    Hello All,I am trying to convert my interior lighting from halogen to led and have some questions about the method used to arrive at the 24v AC at the overhead lamps. My technician tells me there are several 110 to 30v transformers in a forward locker, and it appears one of two things is happening:1. The conventional slide wall dimmer is reducing the voltage to the transformer, resulting in an output of 30v-> 0v.Or2. 30v is supplied to the dimmer and it is reducing that voltage to the overhead lamps.I believe it is #2 since there are many dimming circuits in the boat, yet only a couple of transformers.Can anyone clarify this or supply a simple diagram?Thanks so much
    Quote Originally Posted by doc g View Post
    the answer is that some of the low voltage lights are driven by transformers and some are wired into the 24 volt DC (aka batteries) . You can kill the ac at the panel and check which lights still come on. Some areas have both ac (transformer) and dc (battery)driven lights , such as my pilothouse ....Pat

your owners manual should have a wiring diagram that shows this.
    Mis b' havin
    1972 58 yachtfish
    58yf352
    pass christian, ms.

Hatt hid transformers everywhere. The print set tells where they are.

Quote Originally Posted by Captain Ralph View Post
    Hatt hid transformers everywhere. The print set tells where they are.
    They re not the only one. Same thing on Lazzaras. Pretty much all the lights are 24 VAC powered by transformers although at least they are inside boxes near each breaker subpanel. To make thing more complicated though, there are relays which switch some lights to 24VDC from the house bank in case of a shore of gen failure.

Way too complex. I find it much better to run all the lights off a larger house banks. I guess pre 2010 or so, all the 100s of halogens would out a pretty heavy load on the house bank
    Pascal
    Miami, FL
    1970 53 MY #325 Cummins 6CTAs
    2014 26' gaff rigged sloop
    2007 Sandbarhopper 13
    12' Westphal Cat boat