Welcome to the Hatteras Owners Forum & Gallery. Sign Up or Login

Enter partial or full part description to search the Hatteras/Cabo parts catalog (for example: breaker or gauge)
+ Reply to Thread
Page 4 of 8 FirstFirst ... 2 3 4 5 6 ... LastLast

Re: Heads up keys and so Florida

I believe the OWW locks are open these days, why not make a run to the east coast?

In any case best of luck to all about to be affected.
    Pascal
    Miami, FL
    1970 53 MY #325 Cummins 6CTAs
    2014 26' gaff rigged sloop
    2007 Sandbarhopper 13
    12' Westphal Cat boat

Quote Originally Posted by Pascal View Post
    I believe the OWW locks are open these days, why not make a run to the east coast?

In any case best of luck to all about to be affected.
    Run Forest, Run!!
    Freaking storm. There will be some asp slapping going on.
    Bless all involved.

Quote Originally Posted by madhatter1 View Post
    It's headed right for us. 34 Is on the hard, engines up on pallets. Hope they are high enough. 46 is tied up at Riviera Dunes in Palmetto FL. Highly protected basin. Another member here is also there. Multiple fenders and tight lines. Floating docks. But what if the whole dock floats above the pilings? I hope not.At the house we picked up anything in the garage that could float and make a water line. Then went through our possessions picking winners and loosers. Only so many hangers and high places to stow things. We never once evacuated but leave in the morning taking all vehicles including the Firechicken on a trailer. Timing and angle of the storm are worse case scenario. Hitting Wednesday night/Thursday early AM during an extra high tide. Could wish for a "Charlie" chipshot but why? Then some else gets whacked. It looks like our turn. Hunker down. Put your head between your legs and kiss your ass goodbye!
    That’s a design defect with many floating docks. It wasn’t until recently that DEP has started requiring pilings higher than projected storm surge, so a lot of them have shorter pilings that only account for tidal variation. When a storm comes, the entire dock with boats still attached just floats up and over the top of the pilings and, now released, drift off in a clump to be wrecked somewhere.

Mad Hatteras (I know real original, there’s like 17 of us on this forum) is in a covered slip on the wood dock at lambs in Jacksonville. I’ve ridden out a few hurricanes while owning large boats so I’m somewhat familiar with the process in general, but this is the first storm I’m going through with this boat. Anything in particular I should pay attention to?

FWIW this is from 04 Frances and Jeene we took 2 direct hits in Vero Beach 3 weeks to the day and hour. We’re south of Vero on the barrier island. Frances took the roof off my house and gutted it. Jeene added insult to injury. My 80yo father and I stayed on the boat behind the house. The tape is out of order because I was pretty cooked by the time Jeene hit and recorded some over Frances. I stayed and would have lost the boat if I hadn’t but I wouldn’t encourage anyone else to do the same. I have EMS friends that pulled bodies out of some of the boats at the FtPierce city marina disaster. Mostly sailboaters that were pushed under by other boats.

https://youtu.be/-9RswfGVhwI
    "DON'T BELIEVE ANYTHING YOU READ OR HEAR AND ONLY HALF OF WHAT YOU SEE" - BEN FRANKLIN

Endless Summer
    1967 50c 12/71n DDA 525hp
    ex Miss Betsy
    owners:
    Howard P. Miller 1967-1974
    Richard F Hull 1974-1976
    Robert J. & R.Scott Smith 1976-present

Quote Originally Posted by cww View Post
    Mad Hatteras (I know real original, there’s like 17 of us on this forum) is in a covered slip on the wood dock at lambs in Jacksonville. I’ve ridden out a few hurricanes while owning large boats so I’m somewhat familiar with the process in general, but this is the first storm I’m going through with this boat. Anything in particular I should pay attention to?
    My time at Huckins, 5 / 6 foot flood. The yard and buildings flooded. Floating dock stayed solid with us.
    The end dock at Ortega Yacht Club came apart, floated over one pile.
    Watch your vertical clearance.
    Next thought, unlike past storms south to east of Jax, this one coming from the S W.
    One forecast model has the storm crossing Jax.
    I'm wondering if the wind will blow water out of the St Johns.
    Last edited by Captain Ralph; 09-27-2022 at 08:58 AM.

Eye of the storm still on Cuba.

Jeanne is the one that started recurving east of the Bahamas, stalled, looped around and then was shoved west into Florida by a building ridge.

https://www.nhc.noaa.gov/archive/200...graphics.shtml

It’s an amazing how the forecasts have improved on the last 20 years or so.
    Pascal
    Miami, FL
    1970 53 MY #325 Cummins 6CTAs
    2014 26' gaff rigged sloop
    2007 Sandbarhopper 13
    12' Westphal Cat boat

Ian is coming in south of Sarasota now. Up the state to Jax.
    I wonder, can this cross the state back in the Atlantic?

Quote Originally Posted by Captain Ralph View Post
    Ian is coming in south of Sarasota now. Up the state to Jax.
    I wonder, can this cross the state back in the Atlantic?
    Well, were fixing to find out, Last forecast;
    Ian will bust out around St Aug into the Atlantic.
    F M
    Now the St Johns will really flood. Jax will be under water.
    Last edited by Captain Ralph; 09-27-2022 at 06:01 PM.