Welcome to the Hatteras Owners Forum & Gallery. Sign Up or Login

Enter partial or full part description to search the Hatteras/Cabo parts catalog (for example: breaker or gauge)
+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 8 1 2 3 ... LastLast

Heads up keys and so Florida

Thought we were going to get away this year unscathed but the models keep coming this way. Looks like a tue Wednesday even. Still some variables but I’m battening down the hatches if this tract stays constant by Sunday
    Attached Images
    "DON'T BELIEVE ANYTHING YOU READ OR HEAR AND ONLY HALF OF WHAT YOU SEE" - BEN FRANKLIN

Endless Summer
    1967 50c 12/71n DDA 525hp
    ex Miss Betsy
    owners:
    Howard P. Miller 1967-1974
    Richard F Hull 1974-1976
    Robert J. & R.Scott Smith 1976-present

Re: Heads up keys and so Florida

I'm hoping the prediction being dead-on for my dock means it'll land somewhere else. I can't recall an early prediction being exactly correct!
    At the mouth of the Caloosahatchee
    1984 52C

Reminds me of Charlie in 04 which started the season from hell. I landed for fuel right after it went through Daytona quite a few hangars collapsed there and damaged aircraft even though it hit punta gorda and Orlando first
    "DON'T BELIEVE ANYTHING YOU READ OR HEAR AND ONLY HALF OF WHAT YOU SEE" - BEN FRANKLIN

Endless Summer
    ex Miss Betsy
    owners:
    Richard F Hull 1974-1976

And Charlie underwent rapid intensification just north of western Cuba… lots of very warm water there

The 5PM has been nudged a little bit to the west and as per NHC lies on the east side of most models

Problem would be having most of the state on the east side of the storm, that’s the side where you get the worst bands and embedded tornadoes. That’s what caused all the destruction here at our marina with Irma… it wasn’t the wind itself as the center was far but embedded tornadoes

Gonna be a long week end.
    Pascal
    Miami, FL
    1970 53 MY #325 Cummins 6CTAs
    2014 26' gaff rigged sloop
    2007 Sandbarhopper 13
    12' Westphal Cat boat

Quote Originally Posted by rsmith View Post
    Reminds me of Charlie in 04 which started the season from hell. I landed for fuel right after it went through Daytona quite a few hangars collapsed there and damaged aircraft even though it hit punta gorda and Orlando first
    That was indeed the season from hell. I'm from Daytona and we had like 5 hurricanes that came right for us that year. I helped my parents put the plywood up, take it down, put it up, take it down, finally we said f*ck it and just left it up until Xmas. We got clobbered twice.

This new one's worrisome. The ones that duck into the gulf before hitting tend to be bad. We had one back 5 years ago or so that did that and it was nuts. The anemometer at my dad's place on the beachside in Daytona was reading 120 until it flew off the roof. That was after it had already come across the entire state. You can still see all the pine trees bent at 20-30 degree angles along I-4. It flooded out my building in Jax, pushed all the water in the St. Johns ahead of it. My first floor neighbors got rescued out of their unit by the coast guard in orange inflatable boats. That is certainly something you don't see every day on a residential street. I really hope this one turns.

I do building controls. Was sent to a Lowe’s distribution center in Poinciana Florida by Orlando. Large rooftop units were crushed from the wind pressure. Like the Hulk “smashed “! Then some of the smaller office units did okay due to low profile. But one was ripped from its curb and hanging over the side of the building by the electrical wires. We all agreed that whoever did the electrical work was the best electrician.😁
    1966 34c
    1982 46 HP

Just a reminder of Ft Pierce in 04 Frances.

Endless Summer
    ex Miss Betsy
    owners:
    Richard F Hull 1974-1976

And then there was my house 5 miles north of FtPierce. Tore off the roof and gutted the house.
    Attached Images
    Last edited by rsmith; 09-23-2022 at 07:24 PM.

Endless Summer
    ex Miss Betsy
    owners:
    Richard F Hull 1974-1976

I built a hurricane “proof “ house in 2006. No hurricanes so far except Irma which blew the water out.
    1966 34c
    1982 46 HP

the house I built on st barths in the 80s withstood Luis in 95 which was a very slow moving cat 5 that passed right on the island. SOB took his time… 36 hours but only lost a few gutters.

Problem are the embedded tornadoes. Unpredictable
    Pascal
    Miami, FL
    1970 53 MY #325 Cummins 6CTAs
    2014 26' gaff rigged sloop
    2007 Sandbarhopper 13
    12' Westphal Cat boat