Welcome to the Hatteras Owners Forum & Gallery. Sign Up or Login

Enter partial or full part description to search the Hatteras/Cabo parts catalog (for example: breaker or gauge)
+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Not a Hatt, but who doesn't like Seafood

Not sure if the scratched anchor is included. At least she has Detroits. Actually not the worst looking boat I've seen.
    https://www.unitedyacht.com/used-yac...eafood-2792727
    Everyone should believe in something - I believe I will go fishing - Henry David Thoreau

Re: Not a Hatt, but who doesn't like Seafood

Quote Originally Posted by Bob Bradley View Post
    Not sure if the scratched anchor is included. At least she has Detroits. Actually not the worst looking boat I've seen.
    https://www.unitedyacht.com/used-yac...eafood-2792727
    belongs in Miami
    '88 55'C hull 394 ​BEATs Therapy
    12-71 TA's ZF BW190 1.5:1 gears

This boat may be constructed of aluminum. Other Strikers that I have seen are aluminum. Nothing like having to re-plate a hull .
    JMooney
    61 MY 1983 #341
    “Jerrie”
    Miami , FL

If I was close to it, I'd go see it just to step up to the helm and say "Move over Swanson. I'm driving!"
    --- The poster formerly known as Scrod ---

I want to live in Theory, everything works there.

1970 36C375

Quote Originally Posted by jmooney View Post
    This boat may be constructed of aluminum. Other Strikers that I have seen are aluminum. Nothing like having to re-plate a hull .
    I think you’re right, according to yachtworld hull is aluminum

Quote Originally Posted by Avenger View Post
    If I was close to it, I'd go see it just to step up to the helm and say "Move over Swanson. I'm driving!"
    '88 55'C hull 394 ​BEATs Therapy
    12-71 TA's ZF BW190 1.5:1 gears

Love a nice Striker. Yes, they're all aluminum. What a gorgeous, beamy beast. I tried to find a good one back in the days when a good friend was a master welder and you could do your own work at local marinas. Never happened because they were all too expensive.

Supposedly, you add a bunch of zinc to the bottom paint and then paint the accessible hull areas with bilgecoat with a pile of zinc dust added. But still, dealing with all that metal must be a constant battle. Bonding and keeping different metals from touching must be even more important than on ours.
    At the mouth of the Caloosahatchee
    1984 52C

I think Mr Smith used to run or own one years ago. I remember him stating the he nearly froze solid in the winter.

Walt Hoover

It's across the bay from me, so I might go look at it.

I had a Striker. (a 44' model) They are tough boats, but the worry about electrolysis is constant. They are also noisy as hell, and COLD in the winter as the aluminum structure just drains heat out of the boat.

I'm not certain about this, but I had the impression that on aluminum boats you had to use magnesium anodes, not zincs, because zinc is higher on the galvanic scale than aluminum, and magnesium is lower.

My first two boats were wood, my third aluminum, and now I've had a fiberglass Hatteras for over thirty years. If I had bought this one first, I would have never owned the others.

Used to be you couldn’t charter a striker because they were built in Holland and couldn’t be documented for coastwise trade.
    "DON'T BELIEVE ANYTHING YOU READ OR HEAR AND ONLY HALF OF WHAT YOU SEE" - BEN FRANKLIN

Endless Summer
    1967 50c 12/71n DDA 525hp
    ex Miss Betsy
    owners:
    Howard P. Miller 1967-1974
    Richard F Hull 1974-1976
    Robert J. & R.Scott Smith 1976-present