Welcome to the Hatteras Owners Forum & Gallery. Sign Up or Login

Enter partial or full part description to search the Hatteras/Cabo parts catalog (for example: breaker or gauge)
+ Reply to Thread

Any info on 73 38 TC on the hard in Demopolis, AL... the name on the transom BOAT

Any info on 73 38 TC on the hard in Demopolis, AL... the name on the transom is BOAT..

Been on the hard for about five years... I just bought it...a little dry rot in the rear cabin head port light... will be replacing the floor and walls.. no rust on items in the engine room... haven't tired messing with engine yet,,, right now just doing deep cleaning and organizing....

PRAY FOR ME!!!!

Re: Any info on 73 38 TC on the hard in Demopolis, AL... the name on the transom BOA

When I started my Chris Craft Roamer refit, the guy told me it just needed engines and a paint job...and I believed him!

The interior mahogany was gorgeous! But after buying the boat for a dollar (worst investment in all of human history) and starting to poke and prod at that beautiful mahogany in preparation for a coat of varnish, my scraper went clean through the veneer, which was the only part of the bulkhead in that area that hadn't turned to powder long ago. We ended up gutting the boat and replacing all but one bulkhead.

There's no such thing as dry rot. It's all wet, though the powder left over after the fungi are done feasting can dry up. Figuring out and fixing why it got wet should be your first priority before replacing panels.

Good luck on your project. My advice is...persist. When you find stuff you didn't expect, roll with it. Don't get cheap. Do the repairs right and you'll never have to do them again (most likely).

But most importantly: use the boat while you're doing the repairs. It takes a special kind of mental defect to do what I did and tent the boat for more than a decade and basically remanufacture the thing.