Welcome to the Hatteras Owners Forum & Gallery. Sign Up or Login

Enter partial or full part description to search the Hatteras/Cabo parts catalog (for example: breaker or gauge)
+ Reply to Thread
Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 LastLast

Re: Battery cables 4-0 seems like overkill

Quote Originally Posted by SKYCHENEY View Post
    Maybe this is why participation is down here. Moderators letting people on here that call members morons and idiots probably doesn't help. I've seen people get banned from this site for much less offensive behavior, yet this is allowed over and over again from you.

You need to learn to play nice, Ralph.
    I am a very nice guy. I try to be helpful when I can.
    Just no tolerance for idiots after things have been typed slowly for their reading disorders.
    Last edited by Captain Ralph; 09-21-2022 at 09:47 AM.

Quote Originally Posted by q240z View Post
    I guarantee you the cloth cable insulation on my old Connie's 2/0 cables wore out. And the lugs weren't tinned or shrink wrapped with adhesive. So water wicked up the strands and turned the cable all green. If that's not worn out, I don't know what is.
    That’s corrosion not wear. And unless they were subject to salt submersion or spray if they were tinned cables it shouldn’t have happened. Krush has worked in heavy industry like I have it’s not uncommon to see wiring and electrical equipment that’s 40 50 years old and more still in use and safe. 90% of the time it’s the connection ends that fail. Even in that case you can strip back to clean copper and reuse. Q I have to say I’ve never seen cloth jacket on boat wiring. Maybe over the jacket as chafe protection.
    Unless they’re chafed or rock hard and putting excessive load on the end terminals no reason they can’t be reused.
    Ralph brags about what he used to do and maybe he was great but realize a lot of these mechanics like to spend your money and that’s how they make money.
    "DON'T BELIEVE ANYTHING YOU READ OR HEAR AND ONLY HALF OF WHAT YOU SEE" - BEN FRANKLIN

Endless Summer
    1967 50c 12/71n DDA 525hp
    ex Miss Betsy
    owners:
    Howard P. Miller 1967-1974
    Richard F Hull 1974-1976
    Robert J. & R.Scott Smith 1976-present

Quote Originally Posted by SKYCHENEY View Post

Krush is a good guy. Intelligent, a Hatteras owner, and quite well traveled. He's done more at his young age than many do in a lifetime.
    Way too kind of words to describe me, lol. You know, I'm not young anymore either--approaching midlife crisis. Funny, I joined this form in my early 20's and than began on the world's longest hatteras search...how time flies.

Quote Originally Posted by Captain Ralph View Post
    What planet are you from?
    Cables adsorb moisture and degrade.
    Were talking cables in a boat if you have a clue where the frak you are at, a boaters forum..
    I've seen plenty of cable on vessels and plants that is older than you and me combined. Maybe you need to go tell these guys any original wiring that is left needs to be replaced? https://www.ssjohnwbrown.org/
    FTFD... i drive a slow 1968 41c381

Besides the obvious silliness of comparing a small boat with a Liberty Ship, you are ASSuming that the wiring is original….

Along the same lines, you can’t compare an industrial environment with a small boat. Apples and oranges. The corrosion factor in the ER of a boat is 100 times worst than a factory or power plant. Not even close. Plus the corrosion factor from the batteries gassing….

An additional problem is that for years Hatteras used untinned wire. Again that’s fine in an industrial environment but not marine. And to make things worst, the ends were not heat shrunk and are even more succeptible to corrosion.

Having redone all the DC and AC wiring on my 52 year old Hatt, I can tell you that the 70s Hatteras wiring left a lot to be desired. Call it wear… call it tear… call it corrosion… whatever word you use, replacing high draw wiring like the starter wires is a good idea
    Pascal
    Miami, FL
    1970 53 MY #325 Cummins 6CTAs
    2014 26' gaff rigged sloop
    2007 Sandbarhopper 13
    12' Westphal Cat boat

Quote Originally Posted by rsmith View Post
    That’s corrosion not wear.
    That's pedantic. Worn out = busted = no bueno = needs replaced, etc etc.

That said, the cloth insulation was, in fact, "worn" through in spots, as I mentioned, and it was not safely reusable. The ends were also badly corroded. The whole thing was...how about kaput?

Quote Originally Posted by Pascal View Post
    Besides the obvious silliness of comparing a small boat with a Liberty Ship, you are ASSuming that the wiring is original….

.................. Call it wear… call it tear… call it corrosion… whatever word you use, replacing high draw wiring like the starter wires is a good idea

How about, TEST BEFORE REPLACING. MikeP loved the voltage drop test. A few seconds tells a lot! Everybody loves data.
    FTFD... i drive a slow 1968 41c381

Quote Originally Posted by rsmith View Post
    Ralph brags about what he used to do and maybe he was great but realize a lot of these mechanics like to spend your money and that’s how they make money.
    Working in Ortega, with a West Marine store in walking distance of many docks, the area folk knew what stuff cost. In reselling items from jobber cost, we knew not to sell over what that store charged. So, lots of our hardware did not make us much money.
    Our following kind of knew this after a while and may have appreciated it.
    W had some dead beat non payments, never a complaint of what/how we estimated & charged.

When we stocked cable, it would move quickly or sit and collect dust. The dust collectors we saved for our self when we closed the shop.

all i know is that my 50 year old battery cables are in good shape. shame they are all black and not fancy red and yellow.BUT i do know how to tell hot from ground
    Mis b' havin
    1972 58 yachtfish
    58yf352
    pass christian, ms.

I think that the problems with mine were mostly the lugs on the ends and the sub standard terminal clamps on the battery posts. I stripped all of the cover off to take to the metal recycler and there was green about two inches back from the ends. The rest looked good but was very stiff, the red and yellow just spiffs up the look of the engine room and we all like that.

Walt Hoover

Quote Originally Posted by q240z View Post
    That's pedantic. Worn out = busted = no bueno = needs replaced, etc etc.

That said, the cloth insulation was, in fact, "worn" through in spots, as I mentioned, and it was not safely reusable. The ends were also badly corroded. The whole thing was...how about kaput?
    Webster: damage, erode, or destroy by friction or use.
    "the track has been worn down in part to bare rock"

But over scrupulous? Lol I had to look that one up.
    Last edited by rsmith; 09-22-2022 at 07:47 AM.
    "DON'T BELIEVE ANYTHING YOU READ OR HEAR AND ONLY HALF OF WHAT YOU SEE" - BEN FRANKLIN

Endless Summer
    1967 50c 12/71n DDA 525hp
    ex Miss Betsy
    owners:
    Howard P. Miller 1967-1974
    Richard F Hull 1974-1976
    Robert J. & R.Scott Smith 1976-present