Welcome to the Hatteras Owners Forum & Gallery. Sign Up or Login

Enter partial or full part description to search the Hatteras/Cabo parts catalog (for example: breaker or gauge)
+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 4 1 2 3 ... LastLast

Battery cables 4-0 seems like overkill

My 48 year old battery cables are failing. I cannot find what the amperage draw on my Delco Remy starter is. The run from 8 D batteries to starter is about 12 feet. My mechanic feels like 4 0 is unnecessary and probably2 0 would suffice. Any info would be greatly appreciated

Re: Battery cables 4-0 seems like overkill

So, a 24 foot circuit? There's tables for that sort of thing, but if it had 4/0 it probably needs 4/0.
    --- The poster formerly known as Scrod ---

I want to live in Theory, everything works there.

1970 36C375

That seems to me to be an absolute horrible place to try to save a dollar.

I would keep it 4/0.
    Liberty
    1977 53' Hatteras MY

I will never try to spare a buck by downsizing wires. Not worth it. I pretty much use 4/0 on every DC battery cable …

Plus if you are paying someone to replace a battery cable, the cable costs is nothing compared to the labor
    Pascal
    Miami, FL
    1970 53 MY #325 Cummins 6CTAs
    2014 26' gaff rigged sloop
    2007 Sandbarhopper 13
    12' Westphal Cat boat

Keep the 4/0 wire....replace the mechanic.
    "The only thing that always works on an old boat is the owner" - Some Wise Guy

1976 46' Convertible
    Old Fort Bayou
    Ocean Springs, Mississippi

Quote Originally Posted by Play'N Hooky Too View Post
    Keep the 4/0 wire....replace the mechanic.
    Let me retype that slower for the reading impaired;
    Keep the 4/0 wire....replace the mechanic

If you don't mind crawling around it's an easy job to take on yourself. I did all of mine. I bought my hydraulic crimper on eBay, my lugs by the bag on Amazon (anchor) and my wire from local marine supply. I also ordered red and yellow shrink tube for the ends. Mine were so bad that I was using the cross over switch to start the engines, afterwards never a problem. 4/0 is the wire size, do not go smaller.

Walt Hoover

The way I recall with electric motors, it has to do with the Full Load Amps (FLA) rating when you initially put power to them versus the the Run Load Amps (RLA) when an electric motor is actually running. The FLA draw is huge, albeit it only last for a second or 2 (why capacitors on some). Wire is sized by amperage so you go with the FLA rating of the motor. If you are going to do yourself, don't skimp on the crimper as suggested (would not recommend the type you 'hammer' shut), use commercial grade crimper as suggested. That was most memorable, and perhaps best, piece of advice I got on this forum 12 years ago from BoatsB when I was installing an inverter and dealing with allot of 4/0 wire. With inverters, way I recall, large wire size has to do with impedance. As aside, I always go at least one wire size larger then recommended with everything, saves allot of nuisance trips (like windlass) from happening.

As another aside - when you look at wire charts based on amperage and length, you take the full circuit round trip length, not just one way.
    Last edited by sgharford; 09-20-2022 at 08:06 AM.
    Scott
    1976 43DCFB ,Hull #428, “Exodus”
    Long Island, NY

My old Constellation 52 with Detroit 671 naturals had OEM 2/0 cables that I replaced with 2/0. Never had a problem.

I have a longer cable run with my Roamer to Cummins 6CTAs, and it's 12vdc whereas the Connie was 32vdc, and the online wire size calculator said use 4/0, so that's what I did.

It's easy enough to measure the existing cables and plug the numbers into the online calculators. Going bigger than what the calculators recommend won't hurt anything but your wallet. Going smaller is a YUGE no-no.

Cables don't wear out. Why are you told they need replacement?

Are they getting hot?
    FTFD... i drive a slow 1968 41c381