Welcome to the Hatteras Owners Forum & Gallery. Sign Up or Login

Enter partial or full part description to search the Hatteras/Cabo parts catalog (for example: breaker or gauge)
+ Reply to Thread
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 1 2

Re: Ocean 56 cockpit mY vs Hat 53 cockpit motor yacht

Neither have I. I wonder if the hulls are thick enough in the areas where the fins mount to safely fit them. My understanding is that Ocean Yachts are rather lightly built.

We have delivered a few boats up & down the Fla coast. There was this Fleming we were bring up the coast with a f$%^&*ng SE wind and seas on our stb tail, what a miserable ride.
    I felt the stabilizers made the ride worse and turned them off, not locking them center, just off and they flew with the flow.
    Yes we still rolled but the violent stern push went away.
    The AP was now able to drive nicely. Turned the AP gain down a bit more and we were in a baby rocking crib.
    In talking with others, Stabilizers in a following or off stern following may make it a worse ride and be quicker to turn them off or center lock them and experiment when your having rudder issues in sloppy waters.

I bring this up because I wonder if stabilizers on an Ocean CMY would help or not (???)..

Hello motoryacht lover, Did your bud have stabilizers?
    Last edited by Captain Ralph; 09-13-2022 at 07:12 PM.

I can’t remember but I don’t think so. I assumed he was planing when all the “fun” started.

Let me run this down;
    A fairly built 56 CMY.
    Built by Ocean Yacht.
    With 671TIBs.
    Don't think he had stabilizers.
    Was planing.
    Had issues in a following weather and had to turn around to return to the dock he started from (into the weather?)..
    He was scared to operate his boat under these conditions.
    We know it was not that bad since the smaller point boat continued.

First, Not dumping on the owner if he was nervous.
    I wish more nervous operators had turned around after some stories I have heard.

Just what made him nervous, Really bad boat behavior or an less confidante operator? (smooth water sailor???)

There are just to many Oceans Yachts out there doing well to call it a bad boat.
    That Fleming was another learning moment. I've run some Bayliner MYs thru some slop also.
    Mostly retired these days, I'm still learning how to operate different boats. But I'm not scared of any properly maintained boat.

Back to the Original Post

I would not bad mouth the Ocean but there may be some reservations on hull design and a previous nervous operator.
    I feel my first post is still good. More room and taller.
    The Hatt will always have better support. This web site proves that.
    What are your cruising limits? Smooth water only or some surfing?

So, When do we close and go fishing?

When I get back home I think I have that article by Powerboat Reports on Ocean Yacht stability problems. Mainly the 29 but atleast 1 other model as well. No ax to grind. As well as I remember Powerboat reports interviewed the naval architect who drew the 29 and when told the 29 had a fly bridge he said I told them no flybridge. But let me get the article before testing my memory much more. I think you will find it interesting.

Quote Originally Posted by hyperfishing View Post
    Thanks good feedback. The cruising plan is crossing the Stream, both the Ocean and 53 cockpit Hat have 4 foot drafts. Any comments on the 53 cockpit Hat in following seas? Obviously deeper draft and wider beam is better, except in my canal and around shallow waters we will be traveling in.
    I have a 53’ YF. The forefoot is very deep as with all 53’s. In a following sea of course tabs up and you’ll want to match the speed to the sea state. Too slow and she’ll bow steer and wear out the helmsman. Run with or better than the wave speed and she’s fine.

I'm surprised about the Fleming, as I always had the impression they were very well-mannered boats in rough weather. But I've never been on one under way. I have been on a 53MY (Hatteras) while underway with stabilizers both off and on, and I thought it was interesting- they seem to translate rolling motion into a sort of yawing, more or less. I guess all that motion has to go somewhere....

Can anyone comment on the perceived differences between a boat stabilized with fins versus a boat stabilized with gyros like the SeaKeeper?

I was once docked next to an ocean SF, 50/55 or so. Whenever the rubrail would lean on a piling the creaking was just scary.

Potential problem with fin stabs is that the fins can affect flow to the props and possibly to the rudders whereas gyros will not. Obviously.

I ve seen it happen on some boats, it s usually nothing more than a noise difference when the flow to a prop is disrupted and usually worst with under underwater exhaust in following seas for some reasons.
    Pascal
    Miami, FL
    1970 53 MY #325 Cummins 6CTAs
    2014 26' gaff rigged sloop
    2007 Sandbarhopper 13
    12' Westphal Cat boat

Quote Originally Posted by jim rosenthal View Post
    I'm surprised about the Fleming, as I always had the impression they were very well-mannered boats in rough weather.
    I saw that Flem out of the water a few months later. It would be an interesting comparison what transom was deeper in the water; That Fleming or this Ocean?
    The Fleming did have a keel. Not sure about the Ocean. I'm sure the Hatt does.

It’s not the draft but the keel that makes the boat track true and straight. Look at and Ocean or Viking there is basically no keel. Any following or quartering sea will push stern around and lots of wheel turning is required to keep the boat on course. I cringe when I see people cutting the keels to gain a little speed. Most of us who are serious fisherman don’t operate the boats for comfort but so that the baits swim and skip properly for presentation. That means trolling in a quartering head or beam sea or in the trough. Directly up sea or down sea the baits jump out of the water or sink. Without a decent size keel keeping the boat on tract in any kind of seaway is difficult.
    "DON'T BELIEVE ANYTHING YOU READ OR HEAR AND ONLY HALF OF WHAT YOU SEE" - BEN FRANKLIN

Endless Summer
    1967 50c 12/71n DDA 525hp
    ex Miss Betsy
    owners:
    Howard P. Miller 1967-1974
    Richard F Hull 1974-1976
    Robert J. & R.Scott Smith 1976-present