Welcome to the Hatteras Owners Forum & Gallery. Sign Up or Login

Enter partial or full part description to search the Hatteras/Cabo parts catalog (for example: breaker or gauge)
+ Reply to Thread
Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 1 2 3 LastLast

Re: Is attempting a charter service to Bimini or the Bahamas in any way feasible?

Quote Originally Posted by jmooney View Post
    Bob , if you keep your boat, you will never retire, there will always be something to do !
    I remember reading a line somewhere about a retired guy.
    He was so busy, he wondered how he could squeeze in his job before retirement.

I hope I did not mess that line up.

I bring that line up because like jmooney stated; just trying to keep 2 ole boats up now days takes all 8 days in the week.

2. Re: Is attempting a charter service to Bimini or the Bahamas in any way feasible?

Quote Originally Posted by Captain Ralph View Post
    I remember reading a line somewhere about a retired guy.
    He was so busy, he wondered how he could squeeze in his job before retirement.

I hope I did not mess that line up.

I bring that line up because like jmooney stated; just trying to keep 2 ole boats up now days takes all 8 days in the week.
    I think we all can agree that it takes WAY more effort, time, and thought to choose how, and especially in WHAT conveyance and where at-to play- than it does just to “go to work”. Work is pretty much rote after awhile. Not much thought required once you “got it down” enough to be able to afford even the idea of playing full time. Work is easy, the goal of playing- especially adventures in exotic locations takes serious time and effort. So many choices.
    For example I think Warren Buffet must find it easier to make money than to spend it. His whole life in a suit in Nebraska? Really?
    Last edited by Retired1; 09-14-2022 at 01:54 PM.

Re: Is attempting a charter service to Bimini or the Bahamas in any way feasible?

To the OP. As a retired Tool & Die fabricator wanting to relocate to South Florida, you have options.

I’m in Fort Lsuderdale and can assure you, there is a huge demand sor your talents just servicing the marine trade. You could set up a small shop of your own or freelance using other peoples tools. Pick your hours as well as your clients.

I agree with others though. Starting a charter biz from scratch in South Florida will likely result in disappointment.

Quote Originally Posted by Passages View Post
    To the OP. As a retired Tool & Die fabricator wanting to relocate to South Florida, you have options.

I’m in Fort Lsuderdale and can assure you, there is a huge demand sor your talents just servicing the marine trade. You could set up a small shop of your own or freelance using other peoples tools. Pick your hours as well as your clients.

I agree with others though. Starting a charter biz from scratch in South Florida will likely result in disappointment.
    That has been a thought, try to find something to make for boating... I've thought about the marquipt style stairs, ladders, canvas etc.

Not sure what I could do that involves tool & die / machining?
    Open to suggestions!

One thing I have noticed is that in any of the areas I'm interested in (like the Keys) industrial space cost is through the roof!
    1980 53' Hatteras MY, Hull # 592

"Moon River" <-- Finally picked a name

Quote Originally Posted by jmooney View Post
    Bob , if you keep your boat, you will never retire, there will always be something to do !
    I'm finding that out LOL, just trying to live on it for a summer. OMG the to do list and how fast things break!

I will still need to make money though, I think I'm going to have to be semi-retired.
    1980 53' Hatteras MY, Hull # 592

"Moon River" <-- Finally picked a name

Also taking your boat to Florida will really accelerate deterioration. Not only paint , but anything plated will go relatively quickly. I am amazed at boats from the Great Lakes area . Years old , but look like they were just built. In salt water in south Florida, stainless is the only metal to have especially 316 .
    JMooney
    61 MY 1983 #341
    “Jerrie”
    Miami , FL

If you have not looked already, maybe time start shopping for an updated boat insurance policy for South Florida waters.

Boat insurance in Florida is one thing. Then the riders to keep it insured in the Bahamas will stun you. Ask me how I know LOL. That was one of the reasons we bailed out. The other was keeping a slip. The East coast of Florida is insane.
    Regards
    Dan

live on the Hatt, buy a $5k pontoon and sunset cruise with it. Find an area where kids can collect shells, watch sea life/nature, maybe even a few inshore fishing holes and you'll stay plenty busy wherever you land. The last thing I would want to do after retiring is lugging that big boat in/out for sunset cruises, a pontoon is PERFECT
    '88 55'C hull 394 ​BEATs Therapy
    12-71 TA's ZF BW190 1.5:1 gears

Quote Originally Posted by Dan Mapes View Post
    Boat insurance in Florida is one thing. Then the riders to keep it insured in the Bahamas will stun you. Ask me how I know LOL. That was one of the reasons we bailed out. The other was keeping a slip. The East coast of Florida is insane.
    insane is an understatement. I am discovering that the marinas have such high winter demand that they don't even offer monthly rates for live aboards, received $5/ft/day quote last week and that was with a Nov1-Dec 31 request= $18,000 for 2 months
    '88 55'C hull 394 ​BEATs Therapy
    12-71 TA's ZF BW190 1.5:1 gears