Welcome to the Hatteras Owners Forum & Gallery. Sign Up or Login

Enter partial or full part description to search the Hatteras/Cabo parts catalog (for example: breaker or gauge)
+ Reply to Thread
Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 1 2 3 LastLast

Re: Generator questions One quit, other no voltage

They are both Onan.

I wasn't thinking about it when I had the shield off the smaller one. I saw the oil filter but didn't notice a fuel filter.

I was trying to trace the lines back to the engine room where the other filters are but couldn't find any separate filters there. I am assuming the filters are right on the generator.
    1980 53' Hatteras MY, Hull # 592

"Moon River" <-- Finally picked a name

Without a separate fuel supply to each gen set could it be possible that one set could draw fuel away from the other when it was running and draining that line.

Walt Hoover

Like mains, gens always have a racor outside the sound shield and a 2 micron secondary on the motor itself. If you re not sure when they were changed last, start there. You haven’t had the boat very long, have you? Probably a good idea to do an oil change as well. I always replace both racks and secondary at every oil change.

It a gen doesn’t at least fire up briefly it s almost always a fuel issue, often priming.
    Pascal
    Miami, FL
    1970 53 MY #325 Cummins 6CTAs
    2014 26' gaff rigged sloop
    2007 Sandbarhopper 13
    12' Westphal Cat boat

Did you ever open the top of the racor for that gen that won't start, and see how far below the rim the fuel level is? If you ran it dry, the water-catch bowl will still have fuel in it but the actual filter won't. You can't tell unless you open it and look. If it's low then yeah you ran it out of fuel, and the first step is get a 5 gal gas can of diesel and fill it up until the level is right at the top. You can keep doing that while a friend cranks the generator. Again, if the fuel level is already at the top, then you didn't run it out of fuel and the problem is something else. Note: this is only a hatteras thing. On other boats where the tank levels may be higher than the filter, they are self-bleeding. On hatt's they aren't self bleeding because the tanks are in the floor, so it's an easy way to trouble shoot. That is why almost all of these boats have priming pumps.
    Last edited by cww; 09-26-2022 at 09:01 AM.

I had similar experiences with my Onans. It was always the rod that shuts off fuel to the genset getting stuck closed. I am not sure of the technical terms but try pulling back (ie away from the genset) the shut off rod and see if that helps.

Quote Originally Posted by whoover View Post
    Without a separate fuel supply to each gen set could it be possible that one set could draw fuel away from the other when it was running and draining that line.

Walt Hoover
    Could be, but I didn't run the 6kw at all this summer (until the other wouldnt' start)

Quote Originally Posted by cww View Post
    Did you ever open the top of the racor for that gen that won't start, and see how far below the rim the fuel level is? If you ran it dry, the water-catch bowl will still have fuel in it but the actual filter won't. You can't tell unless you open it and look. If it's low then yeah you ran it out of fuel, and the first step is get a 5 gal gas can of diesel and fill it up until the level is right at the top. You can keep doing that while a friend cranks the generator. Again, if the fuel level is already at the top, then you didn't run it out of fuel and the problem is something else. Note: this is only a hatteras thing. On other boats where the tank levels may be higher than the filter, they are self-bleeding. On hatt's they aren't self bleeding because the tanks are in the floor, so it's an easy way to trouble shoot. That is why almost all of these boats have priming pumps.
    I think this is my next step, provided the filters are under the cover. Otherwise I don't even see a racor for them. They must be under the cover.

Quote Originally Posted by JLR View Post
    I had similar experiences with my Onans. It was always the rod that shuts off fuel to the genset getting stuck closed. I am not sure of the technical terms but try pulling back (ie away from the genset) the shut off rod and see if that helps.
    Good idea, I will check it out!

Quote Originally Posted by cww View Post
    I will know more when I get the cover off. Also I am getting more fitting to connect my makeshift priming rig to the generators as well.

I think I found the problem with the 15Kw Onan15kwOnanShutOffArm.jpg

It connects on one end to a solenoid that appears to be the shut off solenoid, the other end that is broken has a ball swivel connection.

I can't find a manual on line, and don't have a hard copy.

It's an Onan 15kw, couldn't even find a tag on it that I could get to.

Does anyone know a good place to buy Onan parts or maybe know where to download a manual?

I found a manual for the smaller generator pretty quick but not much luck on this one.
    Others have said in other posts that it could be a model MDJF?

Thanks for the help!

OnanArm2.jpgOnanArm3.jpg