Welcome to the Hatteras Owners Forum & Gallery. Sign Up or Login

Enter partial or full part description to search the Hatteras/Cabo parts catalog (for example: breaker or gauge)
+ Reply to Thread
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 1 2

Re: Northstar charts

It’s kind of sad Northstar didn’t keep up with the times. They had the first loran C that would read out course and speed. Their Loran C for aircraft was state of the art easy to use and the staple for many years. Seems like when GPS came out they just dropped the ball. Having started out with loran A when I was a kid it’s amazing the advances in navigation. So simple now a caveman with a phone can do it
    "DON'T BELIEVE ANYTHING YOU READ OR HEAR AND ONLY HALF OF WHAT YOU SEE" - BEN FRANKLIN

Endless Summer
    1967 50c 12/71n DDA 525hp
    ex Miss Betsy
    owners:
    Howard P. Miller 1967-1974
    Richard F Hull 1974-1976
    Robert J. & R.Scott Smith 1976-present

Northstar disappeared through no fault of their own. From what I read, they owned patents for several very useful technologies, which is why Simrad bought them- it was to acquire the patents. Simrad then discontinued the Northstar line of navigation equipment.

I have always found Northstar displays easier to see and read than others, and since I am used to the keystroke sequence it works better for me. Also I would rather use buttons than a touchscreen. So these units work better for me.

Today I found a new CF card for the East Coast, and bought it on line. (thanks to whoever suggested Max Marine, btw) My understanding is that I can get the card updated if need be, since plenty of companies are still using Navionics charts. Report to follow.

Navionics map updates are not discontinued, when Garmin bought Navionics they moved their update platform over to being web-based. You don't buy new cards anymore you just buy the updated maps and the Navionics updater loads them onto your existing (or a blank) card. You can still get current maps, I have a current set on my older Raymarine equipment.

This is good news. Since I will have the CF card, I can just download the updates.

Quote Originally Posted by drburke View Post
    Jim, glad you found your CF. I confess a soft spot for my (backup) Northstar 952.

For future reference, one could buy a cheap adapter and use the newer microSDs:

https://www.amazon.com/QUMOX-Compact...019REDBY6?th=1

DAN
    Why?
    One thing I have discovered at my land lock desk, These chip adapters have internal connects that on the best of days are fair. Put these in a marine environment and want to trust them, NOT..
    For the RayMArine screens, the Northstar screens and RNS PC based, Keep the bomb proof CF chip directly. For the Simrad and others that need them, get the correct micro SD.
    Don't get cheap and try to use a Micro SD, to a CF adapter; You will be disappointed.

Oh, when updating your chip, you are asked what display you are using. Some files and options are different between different brands.
    Last edited by Captain Ralph; 09-12-2022 at 08:45 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by rsmith View Post
    ............. So simple now a caveman with a phone can do it
    Somehow the cavemen still run aground/bend props. But, even the pros do as well....see the MD Chesapeake Bay Pilot lol
    FTFD... i drive a slow 1968 41c381

Quote Originally Posted by krush View Post
    Somehow the cavemen still run aground/bend props. But, even the pros do as well....see the MD Chesapeake Bay Pilot lol
    Another great post.
    WTF does that mean??