Welcome to the Hatteras Owners Forum & Gallery. Sign Up or Login

Enter partial or full part description to search the Hatteras/Cabo parts catalog (for example: breaker or gauge)
+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Northstar charts

Does anyone have a Northstar 6100i East Coast USA chart on CF card they would sell? Evidently these are NLA. Thanks, in advance.

Re: Northstar charts

Discontinued long ago. The charts would not be current if you could find them.

It's time to upgrade to a new platform with current charts.
    Scott
    41C117 "Hattatude"
    Port Canaveral Florida.

Marine Electronics and Electrical Products Distributor.

No, thanks. I like what I have.

Ebay or maybe call max marine in florida....they have lots of used stuff.
    FTFD... i drive a slow 1968 41c381

Navionics CF chart chips are what you are looking for.
    New stuff is on micro SD.
    Find a CF chart for your area on e-bay. Don't worry about its date, just it covers your cruising area.
    Navonics will download it's update for $150.
    Now you have a new $400 chip.

https://www.navionics.com/usa/suppor...orial/download

Thanks to you both! Much appreciated.

This winter, I plan to install a new 6100i- the 12" screen model. This is new in the box, hasn't ever been on a boat or fired up except for testing. Even the warranty card is in there someplace. I also have a new unsold Northstar 800X Loran receiver, which, sadly has nothing to receive anymore. I liked Loran-C- I learned on it and was disappointed when they shut it off. It was a bit more accurate than GPS early on, until differential GPS and WAAS came along.

When I bought my Hatteras, it had a mount built in on the chart deck for a Micrologic Loran-C receiver. The mount is still there, but it's been repurposed for a CD/radio stereo unit.
    Last edited by jim rosenthal; 09-11-2022 at 10:36 AM.

Jim, I know what you mean, I get a kick out of watching bot videos where an old LORAN is still mounted at the helm and the reviewer is talking about the boats newly up graded electronics.
    Mahalo V
    1974 53 Motoryacht
    Hull Number 406
    San Diego, Ca. Ready 32 Nordic Tug, Brunswick Ga.

Oh how I miss Loran C.
    Months later, I could find a garbage can in 80 feet of water on my first pass.
    You can still NOT do that with GPS.

Repeatable vs absolute accuracy. Boo

And yes, I still see 8ooX displays installed on boats.
    AND, the NorthStar 800 Loran C was the best, but it is time to pull that stuff.

I held on to the old stuff for years. It wasn't until I installed all new Garmin that I realized this old stuff is just that, OLD.

The new electronics are fast and easy to use, intuitive. Jim, I think you're better off not installing that 2007 stuff and looking at the lastest electronics.
    Sky Cheney
    1985 53EDMY, Hull #CN759, "Rebecca"
    ELYC on White Lake--Montague, MI

There is a difference between absolute accuracy and repeatability. The strength of Loran C was that it would take you back to the same place- whether the Lat/Lon was accurate was something else entirely, but the consistency was excellent.

I HAVE looked at current systems, several times. I haven't found any displays that I think are as good as the Northstar 6000i-6100i. I do have the beginnings of a Furuno backbone installed on the boat, so if I have to buy all new equipment at some point, I will most likely buy Furuno.

I have possibly the last new 6100i 12" display unit still around. I bought it several years ago and it's been stored in my house all this time. I figured it was time for a bigger display. More than likely I'll put it in this winter.

I think I can get updated charts from Bass or Landfall, or possibly just update the one I have. Details to follow.

Sky, I do look at the latest nav stuff at boatshows- I have no problem buying new items if I like them better than what I have. So far that hasn't happened, but at some point it will.