Welcome to the Hatteras Owners Forum & Gallery. Sign Up or Login

Enter partial or full part description to search the Hatteras/Cabo parts catalog (for example: breaker or gauge)
+ Reply to Thread
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 1 2

Re: Still looking for my Hatteras

Quote Originally Posted by Felix View Post
    Any idea of cost to repair?
    Felix
    That's not something you 'have' to fix, it's not really 'broken.' It's just where some bottom paint wasn't properly applied and flaked off, and then somebody painted over it, which causes those large shallow divots in the paint. You can just paint over it again, no big deal. Or you can sand it off then paint over it. If you want to get really fancy you can media blast it. Or you can drop it in the water and use it, there's nothing wrong with the boat, it's just some sloppy bottom paint.

Also dry ice blasting works VERY well on that kind of buildup, with less to clean up. It is amazing.

Quote Originally Posted by cww View Post
    ........... Or you can drop it in the water and use it, there's nothing wrong with the boat, it's just some sloppy bottom paint.

Best advice in the thread!

I use ablative paint and I just spray on a few coats every few years...it self polishes smooth for the judges. I alternate colors. Yes, I did say spray. With a Graco Truecoat 360 VSP Sprayer
    FTFD... i drive a slow 1968 41c381

Quote Originally Posted by krush View Post
    Best advice in the thread!

I use ablative paint and I just spray on a few coats every few years...it self polishes smooth for the judges. I alternate colors. Yes, I did say spray. With a Graco Truecoat 360 VSP Sprayer
    I thought all Hatt owners used ablative paint. Your all are so smart.

Even a $^& Bertram owner believes in many coats of ablative paint.
    18 years after a hull cleaning and barrier coat, we just pressure wash well and apply a few more coats.
    8 years later, we just have the barrier coat showing just under the boot, 3 years in fresh water helped.
    Next month, were out for a pressure wash and many coats of fresh ablative.

There is definitely a significant layer of gelcoat beneath the paint on my boat.

In fact there are two, one is white and the next one down is black. The white is thicker.

That picture doesn't really show us much of anything, it looks like paint build up and some muck from the water.

You'll have to actually clean it up and take better pictures for anyone else to really have much opinion on what is happening there.

In my case, I had at least an 1/8" of bottom paint build up...

It was nearly an architectural feature!

Buildup.jpg
    Brett Portzer 1972 Hatteras 43DC331
    2019- SUPERNOVA Waterford, NY
    1977-2019 CAROL-SUE Baltimore, MD
    1972-1977 C.VALPRISANN IV Boston, MA