Welcome to the Hatteras Owners Forum & Gallery. Sign Up or Login

Enter partial or full part description to search the Hatteras/Cabo parts catalog (for example: breaker or gauge)
+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Still looking for my Hatteras

Looking at a 1985 43" MY. On survey saw this. Surveyor stated that the boat had no delamination issues/or high moisture readings elswhere. Would love to have input on what repair would be needed as well as estimate of cost. Looks like the gelcoat is down to fiberglass fibers and is involving below the waterline on starboard side. I know that the Hatteras hull is solid fiberglass with balsa core ? above waterline. Appreciate any input. Screen Shot 2022-09-10 at 11.18.50 AM.jpg
    Much appreciated
    Felixhull.jpg

Re: Still looking for my Hatteras

That looks like a build up of bottom paint. No big deal.
    Eric
    41TC 1966 Hull #53 "Requisite"
    Kent Island, MD/Ft. Lauderdale, FL

"Though she creaks - She holds"

I don't think Hatteras yachts were gel-coated, always painted from what I've been told. Someone please confirm this.

Most have multiple layers of gelcoat, but on completion they were painted over the gelcoat. That is, primed and painted over the gelcoat. I think the first paint they used was Imron, but over the years they have used different two-part paints- AwlGrip at one point, I think AwlCraft at another, and recently Alexseal. The size of the spray booths they use to do this is, as you might expect, huge.

The boat in the photos just needs the bottom cleaned up with soda blasting or walnut shells. Then a barrier coat and bottom paint.

In this rare case, I'd say trust your surveyor instead of your own eyes......
    FTFD... i drive a slow 1968 41c381

If there was a gel-coat, it was just for mold release than a finish. Hatts final finish were painted from the factory, always have been.
    That bottom is years of paint flaking away and showing some glass. NBD.
    But, I'm looking at a picture, your surveyor will tell you for sure.

My boat looked like that, years of bottom paint build up. I sanded down the transom last spring just to see what i was getting into and found nice smooth glass. I was preparing for a total bottom job this spring but the new owner can take care of it now. Brett Portzer just completed this job on a 43dc and has the marerials list, time and cost. I believe he soda blasted the old paint off.

Walt Hoover

Bottom paint build up no big deal.
    And yes they painted over the gelcote.
    Very few had balsa cored hulls. ASFAIK it was used in only the hi performance convertible models starting in the mid 80’s
    "DON'T BELIEVE ANYTHING YOU READ OR HEAR AND ONLY HALF OF WHAT YOU SEE" - BEN FRANKLIN

Endless Summer
    1967 50c 12/71n DDA 525hp
    ex Miss Betsy
    owners:
    Howard P. Miller 1967-1974
    Richard F Hull 1974-1976
    Robert J. & R.Scott Smith 1976-present

Thank you all for your input.
    Much appreciated
    Felix