Welcome to the Hatteras Owners Forum & Gallery. Sign Up or Login

Enter partial or full part description to search the Hatteras/Cabo parts catalog (for example: breaker or gauge)
+ Reply to Thread
Page 4 of 4 FirstFirst ... 2 3 4

Thread: Crewed Hatteras

Re: Crewed Hatteras

Quote Originally Posted by krush View Post
    I know quite a bit about the yacht world. Most guys that work on the big boys could go work yachts tomorrow, but few would want to work 3-4x as many days a year for 50% or lower the pay. But yachts are great for people that want to live aboard and don't have a home or family. It's great for 20 something single dudes!

There is a huge difference in a 100Ton NC license and a real oceans license. It's laughable that the 100t is even called a "master's" license. It's similar to saying a single engine commercial pilot is same deal as an ATP with a 777 type rating and 3000hrs PIC.
    Who gives a flying fornication about someone piloting a crewed SHIP in a straight line across an ocean when it comes to operating private yachts being ferried up and down the coast, up and down rivers and back and forth to islands?

It’s not just about the money. Now excuse me while I zip back up.
    Randy Register - Kingston, TN
    www.yachtrelocation.com
    www.Safes4Guns.com
    aka Freebird aka Sparky1
    1965 41DC #93

Quote Originally Posted by krush View Post
    I know quite a bit about the yacht world. Most guys that work on the big boys could go work yachts tomorrow, but few would want to work 3-4x as many days a year for 50% or lower the pay. But yachts are great for people that want to live aboard and don't have a home or family. It's great for 20 something single dudes!

There is a huge difference in a 100Ton NC license and a real oceans license. It's laughable that the 100t is even called a "master's" license. It's similar to saying a single engine commercial pilot is same deal as an ATP with a 777 type rating and 3000hrs PIC.
    It's an ATP for either licensed pilot and there are a LOT of pilots on small twin engine regional jets in whom I'd place a lot more trust that an older, tired ( but senior) guy in the left seat of a wide-body! And, more on point, over the years, I've met a few mega-yacht captains and quite a few crew members. The $500/ day reference was obviously hyperbole. Pascal is "in the business" and clearly knows whereof he speaks even if he's "only" (lol) on a 110 footer!!

https://forum.gcaptain.com/t/current...-gom/64298/113

Ballpark figures. Most everyone is paying ABs and QMEDs with all the stcw bells and whistles anywhere from mid 300s to low 400s a day. 100 ton-200 ton captains can find low 300s to mid 400s depending on experience.

3rd/2nd mates anywhere from low 500s to high 600s depending on experience w/dp

3rd/2nd engineers anywhere from low 500s to high 700s depending on experience

Chief Mates/1st assistants low 800s to mid 900s

Master/Cheng 900-1000+.

This is based on who I know and talk to. I’m sure mileage will vary but this is a good ballpark of ranges.

Edit: I’ll also add that a company running a smaller fleet with older vessels working the shelf most likely isn’t paying these wages. I’m referring to companies with the bigger and newer equipment working deep water.

schedules:Most common ones are 28/14 and 28/28. There’s also some 14/14, 21/21, 42/21. Varies on the company and client requirements.
    This is gulf of mexico wages.
    FTFD... i drive a slow 1968 41c381

Again completely irrelevant and shows how little you know about yachts.

Like all yacht captains or crew, I have zero interest in working on commercial vessels in the gulf irregardless of money. I do what I do primarily because I enjoy it and for the perks like having around with great people, in beautiful areas. Have you even been to the exumas? Saying it beats the gulf coast is an understatement. Then between charters or owners trips we get to enjoy a fully provisioned boats in great places. Our guests pay almost $10k a day for this ….
    Pascal
    Miami, FL
    1970 53 MY #325 Cummins 6CTAs
    2014 26' gaff rigged sloop
    2007 Sandbarhopper 13
    12' Westphal Cat boat

Quote Originally Posted by Pascal View Post
    Again completely irrelevant and shows how little you know about yachts.

Like all yacht captains or crew, I have zero interest in working on commercial vessels in the gulf irregardless of money. I do what I do ......................….

The numbers I posted are irrelevant in respect to what? I think they are relevant to the discussion in the thread, as they show the going rate for mariners in various positions in a section of the industry.

Not everything in this world is about you or your interest....so maybe the numbers are irrelevant to you, but others that read this thread may find them useful. And I don't really see anybody asking anyone in this thread why they "do what [you] do". And maybe some yacht captains would like to make 1200+ a day with a pension and benefits and work 6months or less a year?

FTFD... i drive a slow 1968 41c381

Once again this is not a thread about how to make money…. It s about crew costs for a Hatteras.
    Pascal
    Miami, FL
    1970 53 MY #325 Cummins 6CTAs
    2014 26' gaff rigged sloop
    2007 Sandbarhopper 13
    12' Westphal Cat boat

Might want to visit Dockwalk (https://www.dockwalk.com/) which is a sire for Yacht crew and owners. They do a salary survey every year and it is publicly available. The survey is broken down by job(Captain,Engineer, Stew, chef, etc) and by the size of the boat. I believe owners and agencies also have input so it is considered pretty accurate.