Welcome to the Hatteras Owners Forum & Gallery. Sign Up or Login

Enter partial or full part description to search the Hatteras/Cabo parts catalog (for example: breaker or gauge)
+ Reply to Thread
Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 LastLast

Thread: Crewed Hatteras

Re: Crewed Hatteras

Quote Originally Posted by krush View Post
    I'm talking about guys that cross oceans. A 100ton masterbaiter license may not even qualify for able body (AB) as a second set of eyes up on a real boat, and isn't even close to a 3rd Mate license. https://www.dco.uscg.mil/Portals/9/N...mc5_53_web.pdf
    Define a real boat ? Who cares about an ocean crossing commercial vessel, that s not what we re talking about here.
    Pascal
    Miami, FL
    1970 53 MY #325 Cummins 6CTAs
    2014 26' gaff rigged sloop
    2007 Sandbarhopper 13
    12' Westphal Cat boat

Quote Originally Posted by Pascal View Post
    Define a real boat ? Who cares about an ocean crossing commercial vessel, that s not what we re talking about here.
    The original poster was asking for possible help from "young mate that needs hours". Anybody that "needs hours" is likely on a completely different trajectory with their career to work on a real boat that crosses oceans and pays $500 a day to unlicensed workers. Real captains won't even roll out of bed for $1000 cash + benefits, neither will the chief mate.
    FTFD... i drive a slow 1968 41c381

The problem with the licensing today is the self certification BS. They take some crash course then self certify in their buddy’s 18’ bowrider now they’re a Master ship captain. Even recommendations need to be taken with a grain of salt because most people don’t want to give a bad recommendation because of retaliation or being sued for slander.
    "DON'T BELIEVE ANYTHING YOU READ OR HEAR AND ONLY HALF OF WHAT YOU SEE" - BEN FRANKLIN

Endless Summer
    1967 50c 12/71n DDA 525hp
    ex Miss Betsy
    owners:
    Howard P. Miller 1967-1974
    Richard F Hull 1974-1976
    Robert J. & R.Scott Smith 1976-present

Quote Originally Posted by Captain Ralph View Post
    Ha, In a Hoover?
    War Hoover.

They do have ejection seats. I can't find an isolated video, but there's a demo video here at 5:40:

https://youtu.be/cmkv-gsqvlo
    --- The poster formerly known as Scrod ---

I want to live in Theory, everything works there.

1970 36C375

Quote Originally Posted by Avenger View Post
    I was going to guess as a passenger in an S-3 Viking.
    I was going to guess as a Tomcat backseat SWO VIP rider that didn't get properly briefed on what to do, and more importantly WHAT NOT TO DO(!), during the standard Negative-G FOD check portion of the of the Fence IN checks. So he grabbed the most logical handhold handle conveniently located between his legs while inverted and tried to pull himself back down into the seat...instead the seat FIRED and he departed the aircraft while in a very uncomfortable and hazardous position.

Am I close? If I am, I'm sincerely glad it worked out OK!
    Cheers,
    Eric
    BREAKAWAY 1990 Hatteras 52CMY

Quote Originally Posted by krush View Post
    The original poster was asking for possible help from "young mate that needs hours". Anybody that "needs hours" is likely on a completely different trajectory with their career to work on a real boat that crosses oceans and pays $500 a day to unlicensed workers. Real captains won't even roll out of bed for $1000 cash + benefits, neither will the chief mate.
    You obviously don’t know much about the world of crewed small boat and yachts. There are thousands of mates, deckhands who want to get their licenses and are building sea time and experience. They have zero interest in working on any commercial vessels or ocean crossing tubs. Some love fishing and want to run their own fishing charters one day, others just like being on the water.

Same on the non fishing side, yachts. For most, it s not about the money it’s about enjoying the work and the life. I guess it varies but personally doing this for a living hasn’t affected our enjoyment of our personal boats. And the perks of the jobs aren’t bad… we and our crew often get to enjoy a fully provisioned 116 footer for days at a time in the Bahamas between charters or owners trips while getting paid. A non real boat something that costs our charter guests about $10k a day .

I ll stick to the non real boat.
    Pascal
    Miami, FL
    2007 Sandbarhopper 13
    12' Westphal Cat boat

My comment about the negative aspects of chartering was geared toward the owner possibly ruining his love for boating. Running someone else's 110 on their dime and getting paid is a win win in my mind. Enjoy, Pascal.
    Eddie Clemons Nashville, TN Southern Pride 1988 52CHATCS441K788 2004 Caterpillar 3406e's

Quote Originally Posted by Eddieclemons View Post
    My comment about the negative aspects of chartering was geared toward the owner possibly ruining his love for boating. Running someone else's 110 on their dime and getting paid is a win win in my mind. Enjoy, Pascal.
    Actually a 116'. Edits don't work on my Android.
    Eddie Clemons Nashville, TN Southern Pride 1988 52CHATCS441K788 2004 Caterpillar 3406e's

Quote Originally Posted by Eddieclemons View Post
    Actually a 116'. Edits don't work on my Android.
    Lol… it’s a 110 hull plus swim platform . So both are correct …

If droids are like iPhones, you have to tap the edit button a second time to be able to edit

If you don’t do any overnight charters on your own boat, I think it can work. You just lock up the master and VIP and use the forward for guests to change. But not with the ghetto Sofl clientele
    Pascal
    Miami, FL
    2007 Sandbarhopper 13
    12' Westphal Cat boat

Quote Originally Posted by Pascal View Post
    You obviously don’t know much about the world of crewed small boat and yachts. There are thousands of mates, deckhands who want to get their licenses and are building sea time and experience. They have zero interest in working on any commercial vessels or ocean crossing tubs............

Same on the non fishing side, yachts. For most, it s not about the money it’s about enjoying the work and the life. I guess it varies but personally doing this for a living hasn’t affected our enjoyment of our personal boats. And the perks of the jobs aren’t bad… we and our crew often get to enjoy a fully provisioned 116 footer for days at a time in the Bahamas between charters or owners trips while getting paid. A non real boat something that costs our charter guests about $10k a day .

I ll stick to the non real boat.
    I know quite a bit about the yacht world. Most guys that work on the big boys could go work yachts tomorrow, but few would want to work 3-4x as many days a year for 50% or lower the pay. But yachts are great for people that want to live aboard and don't have a home or family. It's great for 20 something single dudes!

There is a huge difference in a 100Ton NC license and a real oceans license. It's laughable that the 100t is even called a "master's" license. It's similar to saying a single engine commercial pilot is same deal as an ATP with a 777 type rating and 3000hrs PIC.
    FTFD... i drive a slow 1968 41c381