Welcome to the Hatteras Owners Forum & Gallery. Sign Up or Login

Enter partial or full part description to search the Hatteras/Cabo parts catalog (for example: breaker or gauge)
+ Reply to Thread
Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 LastLast

Thread: Crewed Hatteras

Re: Crewed Hatteras

Thank you all for the input.

I think I need a young mate that needs hours. I am a Navy SWO and enjoy navigating, piloting and know how to do these things the 'old way' but enjoy electronics and autopilot too. A bad ejection seat ride and subsequent fused vertebrae leave me in need for help lifting things. The eyesight that made me a ship driver has regressed and further limited my ability to trouble shoot and repair things I can't see well. So based on that, I might be a fit for a young guy trying to advance to Pascal status and beyond.

Anyone know of schools or training programs placing their students to get experience that might fit my need?

Bruce

Freestyle
    1986 62 CPMY (54MY with ext)
    Tampa

I don’t know if places like sea school and the like have any referral placement program, give them a call.

We have a young mate on the 116 we run who I am training / mentoring. When he started he barely knew the difference between a screw and a bolt. A year in, he s doing a lot the routine maintenance and has developed troubleshooting skills. A near miracle for a millennial

If you use social media, there is a Captain and Mates group on FB with many young guys posting looking for mate positions.
    Pascal
    Miami, FL
    1970 53 MY #325 Cummins 6CTAs
    2014 26' gaff rigged sloop
    2007 Sandbarhopper 13
    12' Westphal Cat boat

Quote Originally Posted by Freestyle View Post
    Thank you all for the input.

I think I need a young mate that needs hours. I am a Navy SWO and enjoy navigating, piloting and know how to do these things the 'old way' but enjoy electronics and autopilot too. A bad ejection seat ride and subsequent fused vertebrae leave me in need for help lifting things.
    How does a SWO get an ejection seat injury?

What is a young mate that needs "hours"? Hours for trying to get a license? An inexperienced unlicensed person needs seatime underway, not slavetime at the dock. And considering the going rate for unlicensed guys is probably 400-500 a day, I'm not sure your budget accomplishes this. You may be better off to hit up the vocational training program at your local highschool to get a kid that wants some experience after school.

You might find a Huck Finn on some internet forums, but the original Huck had some good river navigating intuition...lots of internet guys seem to always be bending props and churning mud.
    FTFD... i drive a slow 1968 41c381

Insurance companies have become extremely sticky about who may run your boat in the owner's absence. Add to this an application for a commercial purpose such as chartering and it could be problematic. I have experience with a friend who started with a 39'(?) Saber, then traded way up to a 73'(?) Marlow. He had little boating experience. His insurance company required him to have a full time licensed captain, possibly even when the boat was laid up. My friend, formerly a licensed pilot, picked up the navigation and the docking and anchoring stuff on the smaller boat OK. He is not very mechanically savvy but he was learning. A very successful businessman, he expected everything on board, no matter how small, to work and he wanted it working now. A real captain on the larger boat was a good idea because maintenance, delivery and travel preparation was really a full time job, and working on the boat in the owner's absence gave more time to fix stuff. I helped the owner deliver both boats on the East coast. The complications and false alarms from the safety system were daunting. Everything was monitored by sensors which gave messages but not fixes for the problem. This was on 12 year old boat, which was like new to me!

To get back on track, these were problems he had in the US. Maintaining a boat in the Bahamas is about 7X these problems in getting parts and service personnel. Another thing that has changed over the years is that many charterers today want separate crew quarters as they may/may not want to fraternize with the crew. Finding a captain and/or a mate is hard. Also expensive. Good luck!
    Jim Grove, Fanfare 1966 50MY Hull #22 (Delivered Jan. 7, 1966)

"LIFE IS JUST ONE DAMNED THING AFTER ANOTHER." Frank Ward O'Malley, Journalist, Playwright 1875-1932

Quote Originally Posted by krush View Post
    How does a SWO get an ejection seat injury?
    I was going to guess as a passenger in an S-3 Viking.
    --- The poster formerly known as Scrod ---

I want to live in Theory, everything works there.

1970 36C375

What is a young mate that needs "hours"? Hours for trying to get a license? An inexperienced unlicensed person needs seatime underway, not slavetime at the dock. And considering the going rate for unlicensed guys is probably 400-500 a day, I'm not sure your budget accomplishes this. You may be better off to hit up the vocational training program at your local highschool to get a kid that wants some experience after school.

Not sure where you got the $400-500 a day for an unlicensed “guy”. An unlicensed deckhand/mate will get $150-175 a day (non permanent position, day worker)… maybe $200 is licensed and experienced. $400 to $500 a day will get you a 100Gt master with good experience, again on day to day basis.

the average monthly salary for a full time deck hand / mate is $3500/4000 depending on experience and skills. I think that’s exactly what Bruce needs to help him enjoy his boat more and not have to worry when leaving the boat on a last minute business trip. Having someone watching over the boat, keeping in on top shape, addressing minor mechanical issues like air con, power etc.
    Last edited by Pascal; 09-11-2022 at 08:27 PM.
    Pascal
    Miami, FL
    1970 53 MY #325 Cummins 6CTAs
    2014 26' gaff rigged sloop
    2007 Sandbarhopper 13
    12' Westphal Cat boat

I think the 1st Mate recommendation would be a great path to really enjoy a boat for an aging, busy, or single owner. With current prices around here of $100 to rinse off a 50 foot boat that could be a real value.
    Eddie Clemons Nashville, TN Southern Pride 1988 52CHATCS441K788 2004 Caterpillar 3406e's

Quote Originally Posted by Avenger View Post
    I was going to guess as a passenger in an S-3 Viking.
    Ha, In a Hoover?

Quote Originally Posted by Pascal View Post
    Not sure where you got the $400-500 a day for an unlicensed “guy”. An unlicensed deckhand/mate will get $150-175 a day (non permanent position, day worker)… maybe $200 is licensed and experienced. $400 to $500 a day will get you a 100Gt master with good experience, again on day to day basis.
    I'm talking about guys that cross oceans. A 100ton masterbaiter license may not even qualify for able body (AB) as a second set of eyes up on a real boat, and isn't even close to a 3rd Mate license. https://www.dco.uscg.mil/Portals/9/N...mc5_53_web.pdf
    FTFD... i drive a slow 1968 41c381

I'm talking about guys that cross oceans. A 100ton masterbaiter license may not even qualify for able body (AB) as a second set of eyes up on a real boat, and isn't even close to a 3rd Mate license. https://www.dco.uscg.mil/Portals/9/N...mc5_53_web.pdf
    Yes, a delivery captain and a helper, is NOT a captain and deck observer (real mate).
    An issue we pushed while delivering thru the night.