Welcome to the Hatteras Owners Forum & Gallery. Sign Up or Login

Enter partial or full part description to search the Hatteras/Cabo parts catalog (for example: breaker or gauge)
+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 4 1 2 3 ... LastLast

Thread: Crewed Hatteras

Crewed Hatteras

I can work from my boat and be anywhere on the east coast. But I do have to be able to travel on short notice and leave the boat behind. Family and friends can't be relied upon for that duty. So I am considering a full time captain/mate in order to allow me to campaign the boat in the Bahamas and northward (either NY or Nashville) during Hurricane season.

What should I be considering in terms of hiring qualifications, cost, terms, living arrangements and general employee expectations for hiring crew on a monthly basis for this general mission?

Bruce

Freestyle
    1986 62 CPMY (54MY with ext)
    Tampa

Re: Crewed Hatteras

When I hired a Captain for a three week cruise I paid him $500 a day, $300 for the mate, all meals provided and gave him the VIP suite and the mate the crew quarters. Both of them had thousand of hours behind the helm and their Captain's license.
    Looking for a 80 plus foot yacht
    Hatteras of Cheoy Lee

On a long term basis (at least 6 + months), you re probably looking at $6000 to $7000 a month for an experienced and qualified captain. Benefits like health insurance a plus to attract qualified captains. If the boat has a home base where you spend most of the time then the captain can live ashore in his own place. On trips he’ll need a stateroom obviously….

I don’t think you need a full time mate on a 62 footer. Years ago when I started I used to run a 70’ usually solo incl many trips from Miami to Nantucket. Having two full time crew on a boat that small is going to be uncomfortable and cramped.

As to qualifications you need a guy (or gal or …) with at least a 100T master and experience on boats in that size range as a captain. Beware of freshly licensed captains who ve accumulated their sea time as mates.
    Pascal
    Miami, FL
    1970 53 MY #325 Cummins 6CTAs
    2014 26' gaff rigged sloop
    2007 Sandbarhopper 13
    12' Westphal Cat boat

I can maintain your boat here in Nashville for you. We also have a couple local Captains that can run the boat for you on the moves that have tons of Hatt Experience. Good luck
    Eddie Clemons Nashville, TN Southern Pride 1988 52CHATCS441K788 2004 Caterpillar 3406e's

maybe call this company.
    https://www.crewfinders.com/

yacht brokers can be another source too.
    Mal
    Miss Molly
    '85 53ED #750

Wow, baby captains don't make much money!
    FTFD... i drive a slow 1968 41c381

I might be your huckleberry.
    Randy Register - Kingston, TN
    www.yachtrelocation.com
    www.Safes4Guns.com
    aka Freebird aka Sparky1
    1965 41DC #93

I'll vouch for Freebird, but only if you've got one busted engine and an impossible distance to travel that no sane captain would attempt. Freebird will get 'er done.

I'd love to do that after I retire....be on call to go help a boat in a pinch. I'd be a lot more likely to take an extended trip now if I had someone to call, if I had to fly back for work or something.

BUT, I've always had a sportfish. The visibility in a MY is a different ball game. I might need to get a yachtfish one day to become practiced in the ways of not hitting the dock when you can't see the stern!
    At the mouth of the Caloosahatchee
    1984 52C

Always good to use this to verify licenses: https://homeport.uscg.mil/missions/m...l-verification
    Last edited by krush; 09-10-2022 at 10:22 PM.
    FTFD... i drive a slow 1968 41c381