Welcome to the Hatteras Owners Forum & Gallery. Sign Up or Login

Enter partial or full part description to search the Hatteras/Cabo parts catalog (for example: breaker or gauge)
+ Reply to Thread

Thread: Ocean Breeze

Ocean Breeze

Was sold an Ocean Breeze compressor as a direct replacement for 7000 btu Cruiseair , will not work. The guy that installed it called Ocean Breeze and was told I need their control. Any thoughts?

Re: Ocean Breeze

Just the compressor or the whole condensing station?

Assuming you re talking about the condensing unit and not just a compressor, it s a bit odd since all the control do is turn the compressor on and off and use standard low and high pressure switches to turn it off should there be an issue. My 53 came with ocean breeze condensers originally controlled by the old rotary switches but the which I upgraded to generic digital controls. I pulled them all 4 years ago when I converted to chillers so my memory may be fuzzy… I believe the electronic control box which came with the displays was connected to wiring inside a box on the condensers but it was just connections. No control circuit boards in there.
    Pascal
    Miami, FL
    1970 53 MY #325 Cummins 6CTAs
    2014 26' gaff rigged sloop
    2007 Sandbarhopper 13
    12' Westphal Cat boat

Quote Originally Posted by Captain Ralph View Post
    Just the compressor or the whole condensing station?
    The whole condensing unit.

Quote Originally Posted by newhat View Post
    The whole condensing unit.
    I would of thought a new control panel would of come with the whole condensing station.

If your old box had a logic board in it, you could swap the electric box between new & old units.
    If your original unit was just a 3 knob operation, you could wire that back in directly.
    Or order in a control panel. Mind you, a new control panel will require a new wire run also.

Their op panels and compressor is rather simple and I do not recall ever witnessing a failure.
    Some control panels are AA battery operated and needs replacement 2 - 3 times a year.
    Last edited by Captain Ralph; 09-07-2022 at 10:13 AM.

OB does not make a control for the condenser/compressor units aka the split units. They do make one for the self-contained units which as Ralph said require two or three aa batteries when they wear out. I just replaced two units on my boat one split , one self contained. To wire the split; I completely removed the OB harness and then wired my old SMX control directly to the hi press switch/ lo press switch and the compressor. There only three wires to the compressor: R,C, and S and two each to the switches. If you have SMX there are two boxes one is Hi voltage , one is low . The box toward the compressor is the Hi . Smx wall control is wired in the low v box, as is the remote thermistor /temp sensor they are marked on mine. The Hi v box has your pump, blower, and ac current in connections on a terminal board, the positions are marked inside the cover and on the TB. If you don’t have the old split still intact ,check one of the others onboard to be sure you are wiring correctly…..Hope this helps………………..Pat

These FX1 controls work on anything and are easy to install. Just put the wires on the board where it says compressor, fan, reverse valve, etc. They used to be cheap but they're $600 now.

https://coastalclimatecontrol.com/sh...play-p95699124

Sky Cheney
    1985 53EDMY, Hull #CN759, "Rebecca"
    ELYC on White Lake--Montague, MI