Welcome to the Hatteras Owners Forum & Gallery. Sign Up or Login

Enter partial or full part description to search the Hatteras/Cabo parts catalog (for example: breaker or gauge)
+ Reply to Thread
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 1 2

Re: self contained a/c unit

Quote Originally Posted by Briankinley2004 View Post
    Never heard of that brand but according to the link
    • Marine-grade stainless steel frame for durability and longevity
    Maybe the frame is stainless and the pan is iron
    Why would they paint it if it were SS? Think of all the money they could save on not painting......
    FTFD... i drive a slow 1968 41c381

Quote Originally Posted by rob71 View Post
    I did this conversion. I installed a 16k in that space in the salon. The trickiest part was forming the plywood box to isolate the unit from the rest of the hollow wall. I put a 6 inch Y on top of the output into two 4 inch ducts. Under the windows. Significant improvement of air distribution.
    Noise was an issue when watching TV. Sooo.
    After a few years I relocated this unit into a space under the starboard V bunk and ran the ductwork back into the salon. Very happy now.
    Yep - that was the problem for me too, I could either not sweat or I could watch tv, but not both. Also couldn't hear the waves lapping at the hull at anchor, which was the best part of sleeping on the boat. On this Hatteras I'm just going to keep fixing the blue cruisairs forever. I'm never replacing those with new again. I didn't know what I was doing on my last boat, the a/c guy talked me into thinking new was better. I ended up replacing 2 of those 3 new units in the 8 more years I owned that boat. Apparently 5-10 years is pretty normal for the new ones now.

In the 2 years we've had the 53, I've had to replace 2 TRIAC trigger switches and the impeller on the seawater pump, and that's it. They've been pretty reliable.

Quote Originally Posted by Captain Ralph View Post
    Webasto ???
    Now owned by Dumbetic corp.
    Bumbetic Corp did not want to even compete with the cheapest and shitiest A/C company so they bought them also.
    Expect the same support as the new lowered standard of all the other products this company has bought up.

Again I state, when you can not compete on the better markets, Purchase your competition and bring them down to your shitty way of business, The Dometic way..
    They also bought Marvair a few years ago which made good units. They ve bought out so many good companies it s almost impossible to avoid their crappy products.
    Pascal
    Miami, FL
    1970 53 MY #325 Cummins 6CTAs
    2014 26' gaff rigged sloop
    2007 Sandbarhopper 13
    12' Westphal Cat boat

I just replaced the original units in my 58YF with 2 18000 BTU units, one in the closet of the master stateroom and the other on the back of the salon. The first one cools both the mastesr and the guest str. The other one cools the salon. So far so good. Ther are Flagship units. The electrical conectionwas were not a problem, the thing that made me think a lot, was the water supply to the one on the salon. I re routed the discharge to sea chest that is located in the stb engine room via PEX tubbing. They are suprisingly quiet. Later on I will set another one on the galley closet , but I believe I will have to use a dedicated water pump.