Welcome to the Hatteras Owners Forum & Gallery. Sign Up or Login

Enter partial or full part description to search the Hatteras/Cabo parts catalog (for example: breaker or gauge)
+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

self contained a/c unit

I own a 1972 46DC and i am considering installing a self contained 16k BTU a/c unit in the space that currently holds the evaporator in the salon. I was wondering if anyone else has done this and can you recommend a unit that fits in that space

Thanks in advance
    Art
    Trouble
    43DCFB DC-306
    AYC NY

Re: self contained a/c unit

The cost option of a all-in-one unit is appealing. The labor involved redirecting water hoses, larger water pump maybe and electric lines need to be considered.
    When your done, that nice and quiet AC system is no more.

What is wrong with your split system? There may be hope and can avoid all of these mods.

This mod has been done and others will be chiming in soon. Just had to get my thoughts in.

I did this on my Chris-Craft Commander and regretted it, the self-contained units are a lot louder than the splits. Doesn't matter underway with the engine noise, but you definitely notice it with the engines off. The one in the master used to drive me nuts. That was almost 10 years ago maybe the technology has improved?

I m not a big fan of self contained but considering the savings and easier maintenance it is a viable option. Especially in areas where getting reliable air con service is difficult.

In the salon, the noise isn’t as much of an issue as it is in a stateroom. A few years ago, when the master SR condenser failed on my 53, I found a Marvair 16k self contained on sale at Defender for $999. Figured I had nothing to loose and the time I was evaluating long term options. At that point I had already combined the VIP and the master so is installed it in the old VIP closet, about 15’ from the bed headboard. It wasn’t too loud but you could definitely hear the compressor when it ran. I kept it for about a year until I converted the boat to chillers. I just can’t imagine having one under or right next to the bed in typical installation.

I don’t know the layout of the 43 but I imagine it s not a long hose run from the pump in the ER to where you would install it so running the hoses and the power may not be too hard. The hoses will not be much thicker than the existing copper piping and their insulation.

What you may have to upgrade is the sea water pump depending on how long the hose run is and how much higher the unit is installed compared to the old condenser

As to which model to order, you need to measure the space and see what will fit. Check out defender.com they usually have good prices on self contained. Personally I would stay away from anythjng made by cruisair dometic because of their proprietary controls and boards.

Flagship Marine in Stuart has a line of self contained. All made in the US and nice solid construction. Excellent service as well. I got my chiller system from them
    Pascal
    Miami, FL
    1970 53 MY #325 Cummins 6CTAs
    2014 26' gaff rigged sloop
    2007 Sandbarhopper 13
    12' Westphal Cat boat

I did this conversion. I installed a 16k in that space in the salon. The trickiest part was forming the plywood box to isolate the unit from the rest of the hollow wall. I put a 6 inch Y on top of the output into two 4 inch ducts. Under the windows. Significant improvement of air distribution.
    Noise was an issue when watching TV. Sooo.
    After a few years I relocated this unit into a space under the starboard V bunk and ran the ductwork back into the salon. Very happy now.

This popped up in a Defender email today. Pretty reasonable for a 25k BTU

https://www.defender.com/product3.js...hey+sail+away…
    Pascal
    Miami, FL
    2007 Sandbarhopper 13
    12' Westphal Cat boat

Quote Originally Posted by Pascal View Post
    This popped up in a Defender email today. Pretty reasonable for a 25k BTU

https://www.defender.com/product3.js...hey+sail+away…
    Webasto is junk. The housing is steel and rusts. I'd recommend Ocean Breeze in Stuart, but they are under new owners--I hope they are as awesome as the past owners. I had custom units made to fit my very tight dimensions and all the hardware/pans is 316 SS. I have the microair easy start soft starter on it too.....my 18,000 btu/hr or 12,000 can run on a honda 2000w inverter generator.
    FTFD... i drive a slow 1968 41c381

Quote Originally Posted by krush View Post
    Webasto is junk. The housing is steel and rusts. I'd recommend Ocean Breeze in Stuart, but they are under new owners--I hope they are as awesome as the past owners. I had custom units made to fit my very tight dimensions and all the hardware/pans is 316 SS. I have the microair easy start soft starter on it too.....my 18,000 btu/hr or 12,000 can run on a honda 2000w inverter generator.
    Never heard of that brand but according to the link
    • Marine-grade stainless steel frame for durability and longevity
    Maybe the frame is stainless and the pan is iron

The brand has been around for ever making diesel heater for boats, sunroofs for cars as far back as the 60s etc. it s no guarantee obviously but the claim the frame is SS. I can imagine any manufacturer using steel pans and frames

Ocean breeze was great, I had 5 of their condensers on my boat, but at this point the new ownership is a big u known. Personally I wouldn’t take a risk.
    Pascal
    Miami, FL
    2007 Sandbarhopper 13
    12' Westphal Cat boat

Webasto ???
    Now owned by Dumbetic corp.
    Bumbetic Corp did not want to even compete with the cheapest and shitiest A/C company so they bought them also.
    Expect the same support as the new lowered standard of all the other products this company has bought up.

Again I state, when you can not compete on the better markets, Purchase your competition and bring them down to your shitty way of business, The Dometic way..