Welcome to the Hatteras Owners Forum & Gallery. Sign Up or Login

Enter partial or full part description to search the Hatteras/Cabo parts catalog (for example: breaker or gauge)
+ Reply to Thread
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 1 2

Re: Capilano Hydraulic Cylinder - Rebuild?

Quote Originally Posted by JD5652 View Post
    Anyone have a recommendation for someone in the Tampa/St. Pete/Sarasota area?

Thanks!
    The shop we work with in Jax is authorized.
    Love working with them. Rite across the street from Huckins.
    They may know of a labor pool in your hood to help R&R.

https://www.fluid-tec.com/contact/

http://www.seastarsolutions.com/support-2/authorized-hydraulic-service-centers/
    Last edited by Captain Ralph; 09-03-2022 at 07:21 PM.

Thanks Capt!!
    JD
    1976 58' LRC Hull #311
    "Miss Maggie"
    Riviera Dunes, FL

There is a steering place in N. Venice, not too far from you. They have some of the Capilano steering documents online. Might be worth giving them a call to see if they can help out. "Boatsteer.com".

Quote Originally Posted by zigzag930 View Post
    There is a steering place in N. Venice, not too far from you. They have some of the Capilano steering documents online. Might be worth giving them a call to see if they can help out. "Boatsteer.com".
    Zig-

Thanks for the recommendation. Turns out boatsteer.com is in the business of remanufacturing/repairing the Capilano 275V (and other Capilano, Seastar and Hynautic) steering systems. Unfortunately they do not do any outside service.

FYI, for those with the Uniflow 50 valve in their system, this valve is a double pilot check valve that directs/ports fluid to the part of the system required when you turn the wheel. Without it the steering would simply lock up and there is no direct replacement.

Boatsteer offers a system modification where you install two separate check valves, their Model Number MSV-30.

Boatsteer will rebuild my existing Model 275V helm for $560. Turn-around time is 3-4 days after receipt of the unit. They do rebuild cylinders as well.
    JD
    1976 58' LRC Hull #311
    "Miss Maggie"
    Riviera Dunes, FL

Quote Originally Posted by JD5652 View Post
    Zig-

Thanks for the recommendation. Turns out boatsteer.com is in the business of remanufacturing/repairing the Capilano 275V (and other Capilano, Seastar and Hynautic) steering systems. Unfortunately they do not do any outside service.

FYI, for those with the Uniflow 50 valve in their system, this valve is a double pilot check valve that directs/ports fluid to the part of the system required when you turn the wheel. Without it the steering would simply lock up and there is no direct replacement.

Boatsteer offers a system modification where you install two separate check valves, their Model Number MSV-30.

Boatsteer will rebuild my existing Model 275V helm for $560. Turn-around time is 3-4 days after receipt of the unit. They do rebuild cylinders as well.
    Well now we just have to find some smart R&R labor.

FYI, both my helms seeped from the seal at the front (steering) like yours when I got the boat. The PO said he just changed the o ring every 6 to 8 months. I did so for a year, but eventually experimented with different o rings and found a square-cornered o ring that was slightly larger than the existing ones. I inserted that one and have had zero leaks now for 3 years.

Quote Originally Posted by neildeb2 View Post
    FYI, both my helms seeped from the seal at the front (steering) like yours when I got the boat. The PO said he just changed the o ring every 6 to 8 months. I did so for a year, but eventually experimented with different o rings and found a square-cornered o ring that was slightly larger than the existing ones. I inserted that one and have had zero leaks now for 3 years.
    Interesting....

I have not even removed the cover plate on mine yet.

Did you have the Model 275V or 250V?

Any pics of what you did or what it looks like?

Square/flat o-rings are not that unusual....

McMaster-Carr

Got a part number or size??

Thanks!
    JD
    1976 58' LRC Hull #311
    "Miss Maggie"
    Riviera Dunes, FL