Welcome to the Hatteras Owners Forum & Gallery. Sign Up or Login

Enter partial or full part description to search the Hatteras/Cabo parts catalog (for example: breaker or gauge)
+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Capilano Hydraulic Cylinder - Rebuild?

My steering has become very sluggish. I had bled the system and topped off the hydraulic fluid a few weeks ago. The steering was better but far from optimum.

I have noticed a small leak at the lower helm and thought that might be the problem. However, it appears I have more than one issue.

Systems Consists of the following:
    • Lower/Upper Helm Unit - Capilano Model 275
    • Steering Hydraulic Pump - Accusteer Model HRP-75-24
    • Capilano Hydraulic Cylinder - No nameplate or data
    • Teleflex Model 50 Uniflow Valve
    I have leaks in the following locations:
    • Lower Helm Unit - Minor
    • Port Hydraulic Cylinder - Moderate
    • Uniflow Valve - Moderate (Appears to be from fittings)
    Want to get the system back to optimum operation. How difficult is it to rebuild the helm unit and the hydraulic cylinder?? I could not find the exact replacement for my hydraulic cylinder as there is no nameplate on either one of them. Additionally, it appears the connections are rather unique. The units I did find for inboard engines were about $1200.... would prefer a more economical solution.

Any input will be appreciated.

Thanks!

Steering Lower Helm Unit Model 275 001.jpgSteering Lower Helm Unit Model 275 003.jpgSteering Uniflow Valve 002.jpg
    Last edited by JD5652; 09-03-2022 at 02:54 PM.
    JD
    1976 58' LRC Hull #311
    "Miss Maggie"
    Riviera Dunes, FL

Re: Capilano Hydraulic Cylinder - Rebuild?

JD
    1976 58' LRC Hull #311
    "Miss Maggie"
    Riviera Dunes, FL

Is it the hose / tubing fittings leaking or the helm pumps?
    Have you properly bleed the system?
    Some Capilano helms had a variable ratio knob or shaft. Adjustment in the wrong direction would lower the movement of the rudder making the operator think there was a problem.

Never kick a sleeping dog.

Ensure you have a problem before taking anything apart. Especially these.

Capt-

On the lower helm, the leak appears to be coming from the seal around the wheel shaft. I get a small amount of fluid that "runs" down the vertical part of the helm.

On the Uniflow valve, it could very well be the fittings and I will be removing, cleaning and use Leak Lock on the NPT threads.

I just remember seeing hydraulic fluid below the cylinder on my trip down from Chesapeake. I did not check the fittings... will do that first....

I definitely bled the system correctly when I did it in Charleston... at least I "think" I did... talked to the Capilano tech support and followed the procedure in the manual they provided.
    JD
    1976 58' LRC Hull #311
    "Miss Maggie"
    Riviera Dunes, FL

You can see here is this pic the residual oil on the vertical part of the helm...

Steering Lower Helm Unit Model 275 Outside.jpg
    JD
    1976 58' LRC Hull #311
    "Miss Maggie"
    Riviera Dunes, FL

In your pic is also the ratio knob.
    If you are already in contact with the mfg support, They may have a local shop to reseal the unit, maybe come on site and do all the dirty work for you.
    I would not be in a hurry to replace anything, just serviced what is needed.

I believe I have the exact same setup on Katerina.

No issues at this time, but she did seep fluid from the upper station when we first bought her. I believe the mechanic that serviced the hoses at the steering cylinder, didn't bleed the system fully and bubbles were "burping" out the vent.

Interestingly, I never noticed the little knob in your last picture. I just went to check and there is one on both helms. The lower helm has a wooden wheel, so you really have to get to the side to even notice the knob.

What exactly does the variable ratio knob do? Is this a way to adjust the sensitivity of the rudders to wheel turn? If so, I wouldn't mind making them more reactive to the helm.

Quote Originally Posted by zigzag930 View Post
    What exactly does the variable ratio knob do? Is this a way to adjust the sensitivity of the rudders to wheel turn? If so, I wouldn't mind making them more reactive to the helm.
    Think of it as a variable transmission.
    Easy to turn, rudder moves a little per turn, it gets harder to turn if you want the rudders to move faster/quicker per steering wheel turn. This does nothing for the AP pump, just the help pump.
    Don't think it came with power steering, like Hatts Hynautic nightmare.

Wait, did Sea Star buy up Capilano also? Now Dumbmetic?
    Trying to find a manual for you.

http://www.seastarsolutions.com/prod...lano-new/#tech
    Last edited by Captain Ralph; 09-03-2022 at 05:06 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by zigzag930 View Post
    I believe I have the exact same setup on Katerina.

Yes.... exactly.... if you look close it has an engraving that says "More Turns" ... and "Less Turns"...
    JD
    1976 58' LRC Hull #311
    "Miss Maggie"
    Riviera Dunes, FL

Quote Originally Posted by Captain Ralph View Post
    In your pic is also the ratio knob.
    If you are already in contact with the mfg support, They may have a local shop to reseal the unit, maybe come on site and do all the dirty work for you.
    I would not be in a hurry to replace anything, just serviced what is needed.
    Anyone have a recommendation for someone in the Tampa/St. Pete/Sarasota area?

Thanks!
    JD
    1976 58' LRC Hull #311
    "Miss Maggie"
    Riviera Dunes, FL