Welcome to the Hatteras Owners Forum & Gallery. Sign Up or Login

Enter partial or full part description to search the Hatteras/Cabo parts catalog (for example: breaker or gauge)
+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Fuel fill hose replacement

1984 53 EDMY. Going to replace both diesel fuel fill hoses, I am mechanically inclined, but also not as young as I once was. Is this an owner/operator level project or must hire job?

Re: Fuel fill hose replacement

I hired mine out to a dock neighbor who runs a shop. He cursed me out for a few days after. YMMV. Didn’t look like a fun job.
    Dave & Trina
    Benedetto
    1989 60MY HATDK310
    Sturgeon Bay/Ft. Lauderdale

It's miserable. It is slightly less miserable if you buy (from one of the tool trucks) a tool that a friend of mine called the "elephant dental pick"- which is what it looks like. The hose will be vulcanized to the barbs- this helps you get it loose.

I just replaced mine. You have to take the back of the mid stateroom closet out. Then you have to remove all of the cushion clamps behind there and across the rear engine room wall. I cut the hose off of each end with a sharp knife. Then wrestled out the hoses. That was easy compared to trying to get the new ones back in. That was a chore and required some cussing and blood donation as well. Once on the filler fitting and secure, then work your way back to the tanks installing the cushion clamps and finally cutting to length and attaching to the tank fittings. It would have probably been easier with a helper, but I did it all myself in about 4 hours.

My advice after doing it: Hire it done.
    Sky Cheney
    1985 53EDMY, Hull #CN759, "Rebecca"
    ELYC on White Lake--Montague, MI

I replaced the fill hoses on Wills Hatt.
    Major blood sacrifices. I could not get to all of the hangars under the mid stateroom deck. Had to cut those out with a Dewalt battery saws-all and long blade.
    I was the hired crew.
    I should of sub'd the job out.

End result was beautiful. Shame it is covered up and will never be seen again.
    Hose from McMaster-Carr. T-bolt hose clamps. All new cushioned hangers.

Thanks everyone!

What's wrong with it? Leaking?

The sharp bends on Wills boat were soft and one was starting to leak in one of those bends. 1989, Originally a 65MY.

Mine showed surface cracks but no leaks. I figured after 37 years, it was time. Especially since the engines were out and I had easy access to the aft ER bulkhead.

Last edited by SKYCHENEY; 09-01-2022 at 06:51 PM.
    Sky Cheney
    1985 53EDMY, Hull #CN759, "Rebecca"
    ELYC on White Lake--Montague, MI

Quote Originally Posted by cww View Post
    What's wrong with it? Leaking?
    The surveyor sited them as worn and cracked and recommended replacement, the insurance company is requiring it.