Welcome to the Hatteras Owners Forum & Gallery. Sign Up or Login

Enter partial or full part description to search the Hatteras/Cabo parts catalog (for example: breaker or gauge)
+ Reply to Thread

Installing a Reverso Oil change system

Gentleman;
    I want to install a Reverso oil change system on my 1988 Double cabin. It is equipped with 2 3208 Cats 375 /TA's. Where can I find oil pan adapters for the hose, or what is the size and thread are the drain plugs? Can you use a barbed adapter with hose clamps? should there be a shut off at the oil pan? If anyone has already done it, where did you mount it, it's pretty tight down there. Would appreciate any input. Thanks, Larry

Re: Installing a Reverso Oil change system

You can probably find out what the thread is on the oil pan drain plugs by asking a Cat marine dealer. Don't use a barbed adapter with hose clamps; sooner or later one will let go and cost you an engine. Go to a commercial hose manufacturing shop like Colliflower or a similar place and have them make up the lines you need. You don't need a shutoff at the oil pan.

Reverso makes oil chance rigs with rubber impellers and also with bronze gear pumps. Get the model with the bronze gear pump. It costs more. It is worth it.

You should probably get a three-way manifold to allow you to change the oil in your generator set as well. You CAN get a 5-way which will accommodate the drive gears, too, if you wish.

Mount the oil change pump unit at, if you can a little higher than the oil pan outlets, but not too high.

Some installations have the system hard-wired to the electrical system. I did not do this. I use a pigtail with alligator clips that coils out of the way. That way, no one can accidentally bump a switch and pump the oil out of an engine. Yes, there are shutoff valves on the oil change system manifold, but I did not want the system hard-wired to the boat.

Make sure you have a way to stow the output hose from the system so it is secure; also, make sure you have a threaded plug in the end of it at all times except when you are using it.

Quote Originally Posted by Larry A View Post
    Gentleman;
    I want to install a Reverso oil change system on my 1988 Double cabin. It is equipped with 2 3208 Cats 375 /TA's. Where can I find oil pan adapters for the hose, or what is the size and thread are the drain plugs? Can you use a barbed adapter with hose clamps? should there be a shut off at the oil pan? If anyone has already done it, where did you mount it, it's pretty tight down there. Would appreciate any input. Thanks, Larry
    I was just looking for the same and googled quick oil change on Amazon, there are a few options there that have built in shut off and different fitting options. I know with the system you don't "have" to have shut-offs, but I was thinking a little extra security isn't bad provided it's easy to reach the valves. Not sure if anything there is any good, I stopped looking after reading some bad reviews on some of the stuff. Someone here mentioned using hydraulic quick connect fittings but I think that was for more of a manual system.

I like what Jim is saying about having hoses made with nice solid fittings. I'm guessing if you go that way you probably wouldn't need any special adapters.
    1980 53' Hatteras MY, Hull # 592

"Moon River" <-- Finally picked a name

“ You don't need a shutoff at the oil pan.”

Doc! It would be foolish not to have the shutoff at the pan. Failure of the hose or fitting would send all the oil in the bilge and the engine would grenade. Put the valves at the takeoff points and drill and safety wire the valve handles.you don’t need to waste money on the reverso manifold. My system is set up with a 5 gallon bulk fresh oil tank so I can fill or add oil from the same system. But I buy my oil in bulk 55 gallon drums
    "DON'T BELIEVE ANYTHING YOU READ OR HEAR AND ONLY HALF OF WHAT YOU SEE" - BEN FRANKLIN

Endless Summer
    1967 50c 12/71n DDA 525hp
    ex Miss Betsy
    owners:
    Howard P. Miller 1967-1974
    Richard F Hull 1974-1976
    Robert J. & R.Scott Smith 1976-present