Welcome to the Hatteras Owners Forum & Gallery. Sign Up or Login

Enter partial or full part description to search the Hatteras/Cabo parts catalog (for example: breaker or gauge)
+ Reply to Thread
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 1 2

Re: Hatteras twin cabin questions

With that PVC hack job on the main water intake, that boat won’t be afloat long enough for you to make an offer! And chances are the sea cock is frozen.

Run Forrest, run!
    Pascal
    Miami, FL
    1970 53 MY #325 Cummins 6CTAs
    2014 26' gaff rigged sloop
    2007 Sandbarhopper 13
    12' Westphal Cat boat

I guess what I was getting at is, on it's own, that sea cock is certainly a disaster waiting to happen, but, that and the high moisture around the pulpit are sort of isolated things, and the question really is, WHAT ELSE is wrong, right?
    Brett Portzer 1972 Hatteras 43DC331
    2019- SUPERNOVA Waterford, NY
    1977-2019 CAROL-SUE Baltimore, MD
    1972-1977 C.VALPRISANN IV Boston, MA

Quote Originally Posted by Pascal View Post
    With that PVC hack job on the main water intake, that boat won’t be afloat long enough for you to make an offer! And chances are the sea cock is frozen.

Run Forrest, run!

Thanks for all of the replies. I just put on my running shoes!!

Quote Originally Posted by brettportzer View Post
    My only comment on this is, I think lots of people are buying 50 yr old boats and they think that if a surveyor spends a day on there and gives them the go ahead, they are good to go.

Most of these boats need a fair amount of work, there are not that many 43s out there that are turn key.

And even those, won't be turn key for long!

But, I feel like I see so many questions and stuff from people on various forums and they are buying these ancient boats and are surprised to find that they need a bunch of work, because "the survey was good."

Point being, I am convinced that if we had paid double for our boat, we would have gotten one in similar condition, which was pretty darn good, but I am still doing an awful lot of catch up projects.
    YES! This ^^^^^^^ Even the nicest 50 year old Hatteras is going to have "stuff" The PVC pipe is certainly troubling. A dirty Racor is fixable and some moisture in the core is standard. How much is the next question!
    Eric
    41TC 1966 Hull #53 "Requisite"
    Kent Island, MD/Ft. Lauderdale, FL

"Though she creaks - She holds"