Welcome to the Hatteras Owners Forum & Gallery. Sign Up or Login

Enter partial or full part description to search the Hatteras/Cabo parts catalog (for example: breaker or gauge)
+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Hatteras twin cabin questions

P1000819 copy.jpgP1000822 copy.jpgP1000888.jpg

Looking at a twin cabin and have some questions in which I would appreciate any input.
    I get somewhat concerned when owner uses pvc as opposed to flex tubing. Is this an issue?
    What do you think of what's in the racor filter? Serious or just some old sludge as the owner uses boat as live aboard condo?
    High moisture reading near windlass. Can see that the kleat right screw is lifted and the rubber on windlass pedal is broken partially which may be source of water intrusion area. Agree that pulpit needs to be removed and deck eval for rot. Some spongeness around left side of pulpit area.
    Appreciate any input and thank you
    felix

Re: Hatteras twin cabin questions

Take a quick 180 and run as fast as you can.
    Scott
    41C117 "Hattatude"
    Port Canaveral Florida.

Marine Electronics and Electrical Products Distributor.

Is this a 43DC?

Is that PVC pipe on the main engine raw water intake, between the thru hull and the strainer??
    Brett Portzer 1972 Hatteras 43DC331
    2019- SUPERNOVA Waterford, NY
    1977-2019 CAROL-SUE Baltimore, MD
    1972-1977 C.VALPRISANN IV Boston, MA

yes , looks that way.

Well, I would have to say that that is bad.

Also, my Racor filters have nothing in them like that, maybe a tiny amount of sediment, nothing like that.

I think anywhere there are screws and such, there is core that is deteriorating in some way, small or large.

Lots of 50 year old stuff on these boats that needs to be fixed.

We bought a pretty good example of a 43DC, and there is still PLENTY of stuff to fix, update and maintain...

Appreciate your input. Thanks! What do you think is that whitish layer in the racor?

Could be emulsified fuel/water? The black stuff could be algae. Time to polish the fuel IMHO.
    Regards
    Dan

DRAIN the racor water. Theres a float ball inside that will rise and close off the fuel present with a shutdown, usually approaching a lock or a string of barges downbound. Change and prime the filters too.
    yachtsmanWILLY

I used to think I knew everything until I found the experts HERE; Now I know I dont know SQUAT

www.flybridge.proboards.com
    Uncensored, no nonsense boating fun for adults

There are some boats you can't even afford as a gift- because even getting it for free, you'll be upside down and miserable. This appears to be a vessel of that kind. Buy the best one you can afford, not this one. Sorry.

Quote Originally Posted by jim rosenthal View Post
    There are some boats you can't even afford as a gift- because even getting it for free, you'll be upside down and miserable. This appears to be a vessel of that kind. Buy the best one you can afford, not this one. Sorry.
    My only comment on this is, I think lots of people are buying 50 yr old boats and they think that if a surveyor spends a day on there and gives them the go ahead, they are good to go.

Most of these boats need a fair amount of work, there are not that many 43s out there that are turn key.

And even those, won't be turn key for long!

But, I feel like I see so many questions and stuff from people on various forums and they are buying these ancient boats and are surprised to find that they need a bunch of work, because "the survey was good."

Point being, I am convinced that if we had paid double for our boat, we would have gotten one in similar condition, which was pretty darn good, but I am still doing an awful lot of catch up projects.