Welcome to the Hatteras Owners Forum & Gallery. Sign Up or Login

Enter partial or full part description to search the Hatteras/Cabo parts catalog (for example: breaker or gauge)
+ Reply to Thread

63 CPMY vs 58 Yachtfish rolling in seas

I recently sold my 63 CPMY and am looking at a 58 YF. In beam seas with stabilizers my 63 would still roll a little. With a beam reduced by 2 feet does the YF roll very much with stabilizers? I plan on boating in the PNW.
    Thanks
    Looking for a 80 plus foot yacht
    Hatteras of Cheoy Lee

Re: 63 CPMY vs 58 Yachtfish rolling in seas

Quote Originally Posted by RonNP View Post
    I recently sold my 63 CPMY and am looking at a 58 YF. In beam seas with stabilizers my 63 would still roll a little. With a beam reduced by 2 feet does the YF roll very much with stabilizers? I plan on boating in the PNW.
    Thanks
    IDK but the Happy Endings AKA SS Stabbin is up for sale. Definitely the rockingest 58 Hatteras in history
    "DON'T BELIEVE ANYTHING YOU READ OR HEAR AND ONLY HALF OF WHAT YOU SEE" - BEN FRANKLIN

Endless Summer
    1967 50c 12/71n DDA 525hp
    ex Miss Betsy
    owners:
    Howard P. Miller 1967-1974
    Richard F Hull 1974-1976
    Robert J. & R.Scott Smith 1976-present

Dont shine a blacklight on the upholstery
    Looking for a 80 plus foot yacht
    Hatteras of Cheoy Lee

I wouldn’t think a yachtfish would be much different than a 53 MY. I know that the standard stabilizers are pretty small for hull speed operation which is why I put in larger fins when I installed mine. My boat in a sea does roll less than you old boat at 9 knots. In the PNW I doubt that stabilizers will be a major factor most of the time, we are thinking of shipping our Nordic Tug up there to cruise and we don’t have stabilizers and there are a quite a few tugs cruising up there and none have stabilizers. My 53 also came from up there and did not have stabilizers until I installed them.
    Mahalo V
    1974 53 Motoryacht
    Hull Number 406
    San Diego, Ca. Ready 32 Nordic Tug, Brunswick Ga.

Well....my 1976 58 YF does like to roll. They are skinny and tall after all. In the inland waters not really a problem if you can take action (change direction, speeds) when needed to deal with wakes, or beam seas but in the open waters I would hate to have to put up with quartering following rollers all day long. The autopilot will not keep up so your hand driving it too.

I have also experienced certain anchoring conditions where the boat is turned by the current to abeam the prevailing swells and the frequency/amplitude of the swells 'excites' the hull and it starts rolling. Think flutter in aircraft.

Is it worth $70K to fix? Not for me, not yet anyhow. Would I make stabilizers a pre-buy must have? Next time for sure, though they won't do anything while on the anchor.
    Matt
    1976 58' YF, Hull #410
    "Time Out West"

Length to width ratio makes a huge difference in handling even the 5’ will be noticeable. Even going the other way short and fat like the series 1 38 will buck like a mechanical bull in a head sea
    "DON'T BELIEVE ANYTHING YOU READ OR HEAR AND ONLY HALF OF WHAT YOU SEE" - BEN FRANKLIN

Endless Summer
    1967 50c 12/71n DDA 525hp
    ex Miss Betsy
    owners:
    Howard P. Miller 1967-1974
    Richard F Hull 1974-1976
    Robert J. & R.Scott Smith 1976-present