Welcome to the Hatteras Owners Forum & Gallery. Sign Up or Login

Enter partial or full part description to search the Hatteras/Cabo parts catalog (for example: breaker or gauge)
+ Reply to Thread
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 1 2

Re: Give me Hope, please?

Great lookin boat! Can def tell lots of love went into her! Best of luck to the next owner!
    SOUTHPAWS
    1986 52C Hull #391 8v92TI
    PENSACOLA, FL

I have to wonder if they qsm11s are enough power on such a big heavy boat?

I thought the same thing about the motors. Seems I've seen QSM11's are what some people install in 45C's, although I think they use lower horsepower than Hope.

JCG

Quote Originally Posted by Pascal View Post
    Salvage is a grey aera in many instances. The tow service agreements specifically state that the service only covers routine incidents including minor flooding and soft groundings. Whenever the boat is severe danger of sinking, or aground in dangerous spots like in the surf on a rocks, maritime law salvage applies. In this case I really doubt passing a 12 volts pump will qualify for a salvage claim since the fire was out and the boat wasn’t flooding

The article contains interesting elements that should make all of us think about emergency gear and procedures when it comes to fire. Just relying on legal requirements isn’t enough. For instance has anyone noticed the part about additional fire extinguishers being mounted inside the ER? I have seen that on many boats and while a good location to handle a minor fire while working inside, you really want additional extinguishers mounted OUTSIDE the ER door so you can have them ready before opening the door after the fixed system has fired so you re ready in case of a flare up.

Another important item to have is a fire fighting mask. Not to fight a fire as if the fire system fails to extinguish it you re not going to do anything with a handheld but so you can get back in to assess the situation and restart an engine or gen if able. They’re only $150 or so and worth having outside the ER

Stories like this are excellent opportunities to asses your own readiness
    Speaking of extra extinguishers, I have been wondering why there's an extra Halon bottle in a salon cabinet. I don't recall seeing one in stowage like that on other vessels....big thing, too.

So, I finally looked it up in the manual last week. If your automated Halon doesn't come on and there's a fire in the ER, you're supposed to open that little observation port on the bottom of the ER door and shoot the Halon safely in there.

In the article's emergency, I assume the guy who shut off the fuel valves simply held his breath as he shot through the ER?

I need to find who can hydrostat test my Halon bottles in Sw FL. My system is just out of date and this was a great reminder to get on it.
    At the mouth of the Caloosahatchee
    1984 52C

Halon bottles are not hydro'd, just weighed.
    CO2 bottles are hydro'd.

Halon hasn’t be produced in years, are you sure that’s what you have or some of later agents like Fm247 and the like
    Pascal
    Miami, FL
    1970 53 MY #325 Cummins 6CTAs
    2014 26' gaff rigged sloop
    2007 Sandbarhopper 13
    12' Westphal Cat boat

Quote Originally Posted by JuiceClark View Post

I need to find who can hydrostat test my Halon bottles in Sw FL. My system is just out of date and this was a great reminder to get on it.
    These people serviced my CO2 system and were able to find a used bottle since my ER one failed the hydro as it was rusted out on the bottom. A new one was on a long back order or something. I think I paid less than a grand for everything pre Covid. If you click on the marine systems link at the bottom of the page it takes you to a page that says they service halon as well

https://allfloridafire.com

Quote Originally Posted by captcrunch View Post
    I have to wonder if they qsm11s are enough power on such a big heavy boat?
    I'm pretty sure sportfishermen can never have too much power.

That said, they pulled out 12V71s and installed Cummins, but presumably the ratings were similar. The article says the boat lost 8k pounds and the boat rides significantly higher as a result, meaning less resistance from wetted surface. Tony Athens has an article describing QSM11s used on a 200-ton fishing vessel. I suspect they make "enough power," though canyon fish-killers always want to go faster.

Quote Originally Posted by Pascal View Post
    Halon hasn’t be produced in years, are you sure that’s what you have or some of later agents like Fm247 and the like
    Quote Originally Posted by Captain Ralph View Post
    Halon bottles are not hydro'd, just weighed.
    CO2 bottles are hydro'd.
    Yeah, I don't know what they are...but will soon find out when the tech comes. 2010 is the last inspection date.

Quote Originally Posted by Briankinley2004 View Post
    These people serviced my CO2 system and were able to find a used bottle since my ER one failed the hydro as it was rusted out on the bottom. A new one was on a long back order or something. I think I paid less than a grand for everything pre Covid. If you click on the marine systems link at the bottom of the page it takes you to a page that says they service halon as well

https://allfloridafire.com

Thanks! Imma' call them next week. I can't wait to get the survey items finished - and then I can work on getting my boat looking more like Hope this winter.

Their site has a nicely informative page: https://allfloridafire.com/marine-fire-systems/
    Last edited by JuiceClark; 09-02-2022 at 09:52 PM.
    At the mouth of the Caloosahatchee
    1984 52C

I have a Halon system with a rusty cylinder on the back side near the bulkhead. I wanted Florida Fire to update my system before I left St Petersburg last spring. They came out and told me it would VERY expensive, Unless I could find a used tank which would allow them to reclaim and refill with my Halon. After multiple calls over the next three weeks I gave up on them.
    Eddie Clemons Nashville, TN Southern Pride 1988 52CHATCS441K788 2004 Caterpillar 3406e's