Welcome to the Hatteras Owners Forum & Gallery. Sign Up or Login

Enter partial or full part description to search the Hatteras/Cabo parts catalog (for example: breaker or gauge)
+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Give me Hope, please?

I love to see a great renovation for ideas of what I could also do to mine. I'm internet surfing during today's thunderstorm and tripped over this boat and the accompanying story, below.

But seriously, I'd sure like to have Hope!

https://www.boattrader.com/boat/1984...tible-8419820/

Do we know this guy? What an ordeal this was and what a great job was done all around:
    https://www.inthebite.com/2020/09/disaster-averted/

2791511_20c15910_23.jpg
    At the mouth of the Caloosahatchee
    1984 52C

Re: Give me Hope, please?

Owner passed away a while ago, was past president of Stuart Sail Fish Foundation, very active boater organizing participation for Cuba’s Hemingway tournament and spent time fishing out of Eleuthera Bahamas. Very accomplished guy.

Quote Originally Posted by Spellbound View Post
    Owner passed away a while ago, was past president of Stuart Sail Fish Foundation, very active boater organizing participation for Cuba’s Hemingway tournament and spent time fishing out of Eleuthera Bahamas. Very accomplished guy.
    Accomplished, indeed. I'm sorry to hear he's gone. The article is only a couple years old.
    At the mouth of the Caloosahatchee
    1984 52C

Beautiful vessel.

I have the "good bones" for her for sale. You just need a million to go with it. I see he has the same trouble with the master shower door leaking that I have. I felt like I was living in the hood with mine like that but I am in good company it seems.

Quote Originally Posted by captcrunch View Post
    Beautiful vessel.
    Ditto !

I have always had BoatUS’s unlimited towing policy and have never had to use it. It fully covered this towing event. Its crew, Capt. Ryon Helmig and mate Doug Neuitt, were very fast getting to us, immediately passing us a 12-volt pump
    Quote from the article. Does "passing the 12volt pump" mean it is now a salvage operation? Be careful what help you accept in a situation that may not be an emergency
    FTFD... i drive a slow 1968 41c381

Since he was paying for the service does that negate the salvage part of the assistance? AAA doesn't keep your car when you need a tow. I'm not starting anything I would like to know that's all.

Walt Hoover

Maritime law.
    "DON'T BELIEVE ANYTHING YOU READ OR HEAR AND ONLY HALF OF WHAT YOU SEE" - BEN FRANKLIN

Endless Summer
    1967 50c 12/71n DDA 525hp
    ex Miss Betsy
    owners:
    Howard P. Miller 1967-1974
    Richard F Hull 1974-1976
    Robert J. & R.Scott Smith 1976-present

Quote Originally Posted by whoover View Post
    Since he was paying for the service does that negate the salvage part of the assistance? AAA doesn't keep your car when you need a tow. I'm not starting anything I would like to know that's all.

Walt Hoover
    Salvage is a grey aera in many instances. The tow service agreements specifically state that the service only covers routine incidents including minor flooding and soft groundings. Whenever the boat is severe danger of sinking, or aground in dangerous spots like in the surf on a rocks, maritime law salvage applies. In this case I really doubt passing a 12 volts pump will qualify for a salvage claim since the fire was out and the boat wasn’t flooding

The article contains interesting elements that should make all of us think about emergency gear and procedures when it comes to fire. Just relying on legal requirements isn’t enough. For instance has anyone noticed the part about additional fire extinguishers being mounted inside the ER? I have seen that on many boats and while a good location to handle a minor fire while working inside, you really want additional extinguishers mounted OUTSIDE the ER door so you can have them ready before opening the door after the fixed system has fired so you re ready in case of a flare up.

Another important item to have is a fire fighting mask. Not to fight a fire as if the fire system fails to extinguish it you re not going to do anything with a handheld but so you can get back in to assess the situation and restart an engine or gen if able. They’re only $150 or so and worth having outside the ER

Stories like this are excellent opportunities to asses your own readiness
    Pascal
    Miami, FL
    1970 53 MY #325 Cummins 6CTAs
    2014 26' gaff rigged sloop
    2007 Sandbarhopper 13
    12' Westphal Cat boat