Welcome to the Hatteras Owners Forum & Gallery. Sign Up or Login

Enter partial or full part description to search the Hatteras/Cabo parts catalog (for example: breaker or gauge)
+ Reply to Thread
Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 1 2 3 LastLast

Re: Need to downsize - 1985 55C

Very tempting; I have a 42 Hatteras. Could trade for the 55 or 52.

Quote Originally Posted by omecojh View Post
    Very tempting; I have a 42 Hatteras. Could trade for the 55 or 52.
    What is the weight on a 42?

42c's are about 30,000 dry. Just sold mine yesterday, it's staying on Lake Ontario. It's been a big part of my life (and wallet) for 22 years. Brian was your boat in st Augustine when you bought it, I may have looked at it just before you.

Walt Hoover

First, beautiful boat. That will sell in no time. Second, this happens after you move somewhere else as an adult and your friends are all back where you moved from. If you think about it, you probably made your last good friend 20+ years ago. I am going through this myself. All my friends were from childhood, high school, or college. As I have gotten older, they take jobs elsewhere, they move away, they die, or things just happen to where you aren't close anymore. I have had to consciously force myself to go out and meet new people the last couple years, which has had good results. Now I have new friends, they're different people with different quirks and whatnot, but life's better for it. Just saying the problem might not be the boat.

Quote Originally Posted by cww View Post
    First, beautiful boat. That will sell in no time. Second, this happens after you move somewhere else as an adult and your friends are all back where you moved from. If you think about it, you probably made your last good friend 20+ years ago. I am going through this myself. All my friends were from childhood, high school, or college. As I have gotten older, they take jobs elsewhere, they move away, they die, or things just happen to where you aren't close anymore. I have had to consciously force myself to go out and meet new people the last couple years, which has had good results. Now I have new friends, they're different people with different quirks and whatnot, but life's better for it. Just saying the problem might not be the boat.
    Agree with everything posted. Except the quirky part. Haven't met anyone like that. Hmmm. Guess I'm the quirky one!
    1966 34c
    1982 46 HP

Walt my boat was located near New Orleans when I bought her. As for being quirky that is probably the least of my issues. Actually most of the people I fished with were a mixture of acquaintances and friends. Half of us had boats and took turns going on each others boats. The other half didn't mind ponying up for fuel and helping with maintenance (the friends with a boat is better than owning one bunch). The fishing off the LA coast was spectacular compared to this part of Florida. Alot easier to get a group together to go 80 miles and catch a cooler full of yellowfin, dolphin, wahoo, etc. etc where here I go 80 miles to bottom fish. I think that is another reason people dont want to pony up for a big boat in this area and would rather catch grouper in 10 feet of water in the fall.

I’ve never understood the attraction of the west coast. It’s way hotter. And you need to run a long ways to fish. I remember visiting my uncle as a kid in Fort Meyers. He used to say the west coast is where all the elephants go to die.
    "DON'T BELIEVE ANYTHING YOU READ OR HEAR AND ONLY HALF OF WHAT YOU SEE" - BEN FRANKLIN

Endless Summer
    1967 50c 12/71n DDA 525hp
    ex Miss Betsy
    owners:
    Howard P. Miller 1967-1974
    Richard F Hull 1974-1976
    Robert J. & R.Scott Smith 1976-present

Quote Originally Posted by Briankinley2004 View Post
    Walt my boat was located near New Orleans when I bought her. As for being quirky that is probably the least of my issues. Actually most of the people I fished with were a mixture of acquaintances and friends. Half of us had boats and took turns going on each others boats. The other half didn't mind ponying up for fuel and helping with maintenance (the friends with a boat is better than owning one bunch). The fishing off the LA coast was spectacular compared to this part of Florida. Alot easier to get a group together to go 80 miles and catch a cooler full of yellowfin, dolphin, wahoo, etc. etc where here I go 80 miles to bottom fish. I think that is another reason people dont want to pony up for a big boat in this area and would rather catch grouper in 10 feet of water in the fall.
    I'm with you on grouper that's my least favorite fish. No flavor just tastes like whatever you seasoned it with, and they fight you too. On the not knowing anybody where you moved to thing, join the florida gulf coast fishing group on facebook and introduce yourself with a picture of the boat. Join the yacht club, ignore the pretentious people, and go drink at the bar and say hi to people. It's rough meeting new friends as an adult. It's not something we're programmed to do easily. But you just have to put yourself out there. If you do, life will develop back to normal after a short while just with new people and a new place.

Quote Originally Posted by rsmith View Post
    I’ve never understood the attraction of the west coast. It’s way hotter. And you need to run a long ways to fish. I remember visiting my uncle as a kid in Fort Meyers. He used to say the west coast is where all the elephants go to die.
    "Fort Myers"

The East Coast of FL is a concrete nightmare. I lived in Palm Beach for awhile in the early 90s, when it was still more expensive than Naples, and shall never return.

That said, living over here you have to know where the fish and sandbars are! And I do....
    At the mouth of the Caloosahatchee
    1984 52C

Quote Originally Posted by JuiceClark View Post
    "Fort Myers"

The East Coast of FL is a concrete nightmare. I lived in Palm Beach for awhile in the early 90s, when it was still more expensive than Naples, and shall never return.

That said, living over here you have to know where the fish and sandbars are! And I do....
    Yeah but you’ve got red tide!
    "DON'T BELIEVE ANYTHING YOU READ OR HEAR AND ONLY HALF OF WHAT YOU SEE" - BEN FRANKLIN

Endless Summer
    1967 50c 12/71n DDA 525hp
    ex Miss Betsy
    owners:
    Howard P. Miller 1967-1974
    Richard F Hull 1974-1976
    Robert J. & R.Scott Smith 1976-present