Welcome to the Hatteras Owners Forum & Gallery. Sign Up or Login

Enter partial or full part description to search the Hatteras/Cabo parts catalog (for example: breaker or gauge)
+ Reply to Thread
Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 LastLast

Re: It's oil change time.... never done it.

Honestly, getting the oil out with a vacuum pulling oil change pump thing is not bad, but putting the oil back in is the annoying part!
    Brett Portzer 1972 Hatteras 43DC331
    2019- SUPERNOVA Waterford, NY
    1977-2019 CAROL-SUE Baltimore, MD
    1972-1977 C.VALPRISANN IV Boston, MA

I use an oil change pump to empty them out, but I pump the new oil in from the top. I also fill the new oil filters manually.

Thanks for the help everyone.
    I went ahead and picked up a diaphragm pump oil change bucket system from west marine and was able to pump out through the dip stick hole.

I didn't like the idea of doing this as I never trusted that you could get all the oil out this way.

Surprisingly I got 5 gallons out of each motor. Put 5 gallons back in plus about 3 or 4 qts after swapping the oil filters. So I think I got most of it.

Wasn't too bad, the pump system took about 30 minutes per side.

And yes pouring the new oil back in out of a 5 gallon bucket is a PITA.

I can see a reverso system being a worthwhile winter project!
    1980 53' Hatteras MY, Hull # 592

"Moon River" <-- Finally picked a name

Next time order it in gallon containers much easier.
    SEVEN
    1979 53' MY Hull #563
    Antioch, California

OK this has me bugged.....

I got the oil changed o.k. but I am bugged about one thing.

The oil filters are tilted so that they drain out and make a huge mess when you unscrew them.

Worse is that you really can not pre-fill the new ones with oil without the oil pouring out all over the place.

I tried doing some research as to the oil flow pattern and it appears that oil goes from the oil pump through the filters then to the rest of the engine.

If that is the case, and the filters are not pre-filled with oil, wouldn't your motor sit there for several seconds theoretically not pumping oil?

Why do they have the filters mounted so they spill out everywhere? Is there an actual reason?

I use cheap "tupperware" from the dolla store to put under the filters. You need the cheap weak stuff to flex into where you need it placed. Then I pierce the bottom of the filter to drain. Then remove oil filled bowl, cover with oil blankets and the trash bag, and remove the mostly empty filter. Much less of a mess.
    1966 34c
    1982 46 HP

Quote Originally Posted by madhatter1 View Post
    I use cheap "tupperware" from the dolla store to put under the filters. You need the cheap weak stuff to flex into where you need it placed. Then I pierce the bottom of the filter to drain. Then remove oil filled bowl, cover with oil blankets and the trash bag, and remove the mostly empty filter. Much less of a mess.
    Yes that would have helped. I used an old towel on the second one after the first one caught me by surprise lol.

I usually take a small plastic trash bag or a large baggie and put over the filter and slowly unscrew it until it drops into the bottom of the bag I never spill a drop.
    SEVEN
    1979 53' MY Hull #563
    Antioch, California

The part # for the spin on oil filter adapters are: DD 23530409, 25010945, FRAM K 3390 my records show another number also A430. I hope this helps.

My oil changes take a couple of days but no burnt hands, less sweat and no spills.
    Start in the afternoon.

1) Service all fuel filters.

2) Warm up the engines nice and toasty. This also clears the fuel filters of air.

3) Shut down, red tag the breakers and pump the hot oil out.

4) Pop a top and call it quits for the day.

5) Next morning, now that all has cooled off, Lay down a couple sheets of oil-sorb pads under the oil filters.
    I use double, heavy trash bags open & under the oil filters next.
    With a strap wrench, just loosen the oil filter. Do not un-screw it, just loosen. then, with a bucket or large pan under the oil filter, punch a hole in the filter bottom. Your going to get a couple of quarts from the big oil filters.
    On dual oil filters like my 12V71s, the top oil filter has drained.
    When the filter has drained, the filter can come loose and gently lower the filter into the open bags. Even if you drop the filter, it is not full of oil and way less messy.
    When done, you can gently raise the bags up and away.

6) Install new filters using fresh oil on the seal ring.

7) Pump out more oil from the engines. This would be the oil from the engine turbos, blowers, galleys, filters and lines that has drained into the sump over night. You will be be surprised how much oil comes out the next morning.

8) Pour or pump in 1 or two quarts of fresh oil. then pump it back out. This rinses the oil pump, hoses and bottom of sump.
    Oil is cold and requires a lil more from your pump.

9) Refill engine oil to the dips full mark.

10) start engines, when oil pressure is up and steady, shut them down.

11) Do not try to read the oil dips now. Go service the generator(s), replace zincs, clean up area. remove old oil and have lunch.

12) Hours later, now check oil level. Fill to rite on the full mark.
    Always check Detroits cold. Remove red tags.