Welcome to the Hatteras Owners Forum & Gallery. Sign Up or Login

Enter partial or full part description to search the Hatteras/Cabo parts catalog (for example: breaker or gauge)
+ Reply to Thread
Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 LastLast

Re: It's oil change time.... never done it.

At the risk of suffering more personal attacks. Given the nature of your questions and the fact you don’t know what the oil change system looks like or how to find it you might want to hire someone who knows what they’re doing instead of relying on internet exspurts. You can make a lot of mistakes on the boat for the price of learning but the costs of grenading and engine due to an oil system failure are catastrophic. Just ask Freebird
    "DON'T BELIEVE ANYTHING YOU READ OR HEAR AND ONLY HALF OF WHAT YOU SEE" - BEN FRANKLIN

Endless Summer
    1967 50c 12/71n DDA 525hp
    ex Miss Betsy
    owners:
    Howard P. Miller 1967-1974
    Richard F Hull 1974-1976
    Robert J. & R.Scott Smith 1976-present

Quote Originally Posted by rsmith View Post
    At the risk of suffering more personal attacks. Given the nature of your questions and the fact you don’t know what the oil change system looks like or how to find it you might want to hire someone who knows what they’re doing instead of relying on internet exspurts. You can make a lot of mistakes on the boat for the price of learning but the costs of grenading and engine due to an oil system failure are catastrophic. Just ask Freebird
    Well I am good at blowing up motors. I have 9 under my belt so far LOL.

Unfortunately up here you can't even get a call back from Marina's / shops.

I appreciate the advise though.
    1980 53' Hatteras MY, Hull # 592

"Moon River" <-- Finally picked a name

Bob,

Getting a mech these days is tough, even just to show you the engines. Do you know anybody with a diesel boat that might be willing to help you out? Or is there anyone here on the forum near you that could spend a few hours helping out? rsmith is right, getting someone to show you the ropes will go a long way

Wish I were closer, good luck
    Joe

Quote Originally Posted by Bob Quinn View Post
    Well I am good at blowing up motors. I have 9 under my belt so far LOL.

Unfortunately up here you can't even get a call back from Marina's / shops.

I appreciate the advise though.
    It's not just up there, I'm in Jacksonville FL and I called everybody in town. They were all on months-long waitlists. I ended up paying people to drive up from south florida to get my engine rebuilds done. Nobody can keep a good mechanic on staff these days. I have heard the same story from multiple marinas, they spend a couple years paying to put somebody through all the training and get them factory certified by the major engine builders, then as soon as they're done they bail for a higher paying job as if $50k worth of training wasn't part of the pay package. Lambs, where I dock, is the biggest marina within hundreds of miles of here. They had no inboard engine mechanic at all for like 9 months. They had no outboard mechanic either until they poached the guy who had been at Sadler forever. The market is bad. I think you're starting to see the results of a couple decades of social pressure for everybody to go to college instead of taking up a trade.

Quote Originally Posted by jap201 View Post
    Bob,

Getting a mech these days is tough, even just to show you the engines. Do you know anybody with a diesel boat that might be willing to help you out? Or is there anyone here on the forum near you that could spend a few hours helping out? rsmith is right, getting someone to show you the ropes will go a long way

Wish I were closer, good luck
    Joe
    No, no one near by that can help.
    I should be o.k. once I find the unit I hope.
    Not sure if there are any tricks to it or not, but I will see if I have documentation on it.
    Thanks for the help

Quote Originally Posted by cww View Post
    It's not just up there, I'm in Jacksonville FL and I called everybody in town. They were all on months-long waitlists. I ended up paying people to drive up from south florida to get my engine rebuilds done. Nobody can keep a good mechanic on staff these days. I have heard the same story from multiple marinas, they spend a couple years paying to put somebody through all the training and get them factory certified by the major engine builders, then as soon as they're done they bail for a higher paying job as if $50k worth of training wasn't part of the pay package. Lambs, where I dock, is the biggest marina within hundreds of miles of here. They had no inboard engine mechanic at all for like 9 months. They had no outboard mechanic either until they poached the guy who had been at Sadler forever. The market is bad. I think you're starting to see the results of a couple decades of social pressure for everybody to go to college instead of taking up a trade.
    Exactly, the same thing happened in the machining industry. I have owned cnc machine shop for the last 25 years, and the high schools even quit having machine shop class. Machinist are hard to find.
    Many I have had to train.

Quote Originally Posted by Bob Quinn View Post
    Exactly, the same thing happened in the machining industry. I have owned cnc machine shop for the last 25 years, and the high schools even quit having machine shop class. Machinist are hard to find.
    Many I have had to train.
    Bob, you know my cell number. Why don’t you face time me and I’ll walk you through it. Rusty
    SEVEN
    1979 53' MY Hull #563
    Antioch, California

So..... still don't see an oil change pump.
    I found the breaker labeled oil change pump. Just to make sure it was hooked up I pulled the panel cover and sure enough there are wires running to it.

Seven said he would take a picture of his in the morning for me.

I found the oil pan drain plug, and there is just a plug there.

I the oil plug the only spot a pump would hook into?

What is my next option? I have a pump that I have used that you put down the dip stick hole that I could use. I just don't trust it will get to the bottom of the oil pan properly.

Thanks everyone for your help.

If the oil change plug is the only place a hose would hook to, then I have no oil change pump.

That’s odd. I guess you don’t have one, you d have seen it by now anyway. Getting oil out thru the dipstick is going to be slow. If I remember correctly the 8V71s hood 5 gallons so that’s about you should be able to pull. Make sure the tube is inserted all the way

That’s the pump I have now, before the repower it was a small pump on the forward bulkhead of the stbd ER, by the door. No idea if that one was original, probably not. But again the manifold and hoses are impossible to miss
    Attached Images
    Pascal
    Miami, FL
    1970 53 MY #325 Cummins 6CTAs
    2014 26' gaff rigged sloop
    2007 Sandbarhopper 13
    12' Westphal Cat boat

Quote Originally Posted by Pascal View Post
    That’s odd. I guess you don’t have one, you d have seen it by now anyway. Getting oil out thru the dipstick is going to be slow. If I remember correctly the 8V71s hood 5 gallons so that’s about you should be able to pull. Make sure the tube is inserted all the way

That’s the pump I have now, before the repower it was a small pump on the forward bulkhead of the stbd ER, by the door. No idea if that one was original, probably not. But again the manifold and hoses are impossible to miss
    Yep, don't have one of those.

I finally contacted the previous owner he verified there was not one.....

I wonder where those wires in the breaker box go LOL.

Well at least now I have a plan, go down the dip stick tube and get 'r done!