Welcome to the Hatteras Owners Forum & Gallery. Sign Up or Login

Enter partial or full part description to search the Hatteras/Cabo parts catalog (for example: breaker or gauge)
+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 4 1 2 3 ... LastLast

It's oil change time.... never done it.

I'm assuming I do not have an oil change system/pump built in.
    Does anyone have a picture of what they look like? I have never seen one so don't know what I am even looking for.

Just thought I would double check before getting an oil pump setup.

Thank you in advance
    1980 53' Hatteras MY, Hull # 592

"Moon River" <-- Finally picked a name

Re: It's oil change time.... never done it.

My old boat had an "OilXChanger" system I put in and the entire process took maybe 30 minutes to do both engines, the transmissions, and the generator. I installed an extra-long hose so I could just pump the old oil straight out of the engine room vents into 5 gallon buckets sitting in a cart on the dock. Highly, highly, recommend that system. My new boat doesn't have one so I will just make it the marina's problem, for a few hundred bucks it's not worth my back hurting for 3 days.

Look for a hose coming from the bottom of the oil pan and trace it. If there is a system installed, it will lead you to it. My last boat had a manifold connected to 5 hoses. 2 engines, 2 trannis, and 1 Genny.
    Everyone should believe in something - I believe I will go fishing - Henry David Thoreau

I have the hoses coming from the oil pan where the drain plug would be, but they are capped, not connected to a permanent pump system.

So, I got one of the portable Reverso setups and I just connect it to one engine and run it from 5gal buckets and then connect up the other engine, etc...

Much easier than doing it manually, like... 20x easier.
    Brett Portzer 1972 Hatteras 43DC331
    2019- SUPERNOVA Waterford, NY
    1977-2019 CAROL-SUE Baltimore, MD
    1972-1977 C.VALPRISANN IV Boston, MA

It should be pretty obvious if you have one…typically a pump with a manifold with 5 valves (2 mains, 2 gears plus the gen) and hoses going to each location. Yes there can be variations incl systems with quick release hoses but still pretty obvious. It s pretty rare to see a diesel boat without an oil change system. Check the sump drain to see if you have a valve, hose or fittings
    Pascal
    Miami, FL
    1970 53 MY #325 Cummins 6CTAs
    2014 26' gaff rigged sloop
    2007 Sandbarhopper 13
    12' Westphal Cat boat

Bob, look in the port engine room. Forward bulkhead wall near the bottom. It has a toggle switch on the top which will indicate which engine you’ll be sucking from. It should also be hooked to the generator.
    SEVEN
    1979 53' MY Hull #563
    Antioch, California

Quote Originally Posted by SEVEN View Post
    Bob, look in the port engine room. Forward bulkhead wall near the bottom. It has a toggle switch on the top which will indicate which engine you’ll be sucking from. It should also be hooked to the generator.
    Yours is fwd port. Mine is the opposite; rear stbd. It could be anywhere, even in the generator room.
    Sky Cheney
    1985 53EDMY, Hull #CN759, "Rebecca"
    ELYC on White Lake--Montague, MI

o.k. I will look around again, this time including in the generator room.
    Thank you all

My pump is in the port engine room front lower left hand corner. You can switch between engines and genny. Pump is cylindrical silver with toggle switch for on off. I recently changed mine.
    Dragonten
    1981 53' MY Hull #603
    Woodstock, Illinois

Well I found a breaker in the port engine room labeled "oil change pump" so it's here..... Somewhere!
    Didn't get a chance to look around much as I was to busy trying to clean out the air conditioner sea strainer.