Welcome to the Hatteras Owners Forum & Gallery. Sign Up or Login

Enter partial or full part description to search the Hatteras/Cabo parts catalog (for example: breaker or gauge)
+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Buying a hatteras

In process of negotiating with owner. Although a price has not been agreed on would anyone recommend getting a survey (hull and engine) prior to getting a contract? I understand that the sequence is usually negotiate and agree on price , contract, get sea trial survey and then depending upon survey finalize the price and complete purchase. Owner will not come down in price and the admiral said I could get a survey and then see if asking price is reasonable.
    Thanks for your advice.
    Felix

Re: Buying a hatteras

That won’t work for you because by the time you have a survey, the seller knows you re already out a few thousands in survey costs and has the upper end.
    Pascal
    Miami, FL
    1970 53 MY #325 Cummins 6CTAs
    2014 26' gaff rigged sloop
    2007 Sandbarhopper 13
    12' Westphal Cat boat

It seems sort of weird to negotiate the price and everything and then determine if everything works...

But, I think the point is that that is the selling price, including everything that they say works, working.

And then if it doesn't work as advertised, then when IF the surveys actually tell you that, then you can negotiate on how to proceed.

We chose to negotiate the price lower based on a couple of issues, and that worked for me.

However, we would rather have had those items work and have paid the full price.

Friends of ours negotiated to have deficient items fixed, and the repair jobs were poorly done and ultimately ended up ruining their generator.

But, I think the main point is, you are negotiating the purchase of a boat for a price, assuming it works as advertised.

You don't WANT to have to negotiate the priced down based on poor survey results, imo.
    Brett Portzer 1972 Hatteras 43DC331
    2019- SUPERNOVA Waterford, NY
    1977-2019 CAROL-SUE Baltimore, MD
    1972-1977 C.VALPRISANN IV Boston, MA

Price comes first. Survey then negotiate. If they’re still not willing to lower the price to fix items found on the survey then it’s up to you to make the decision whether to buy or not buy. Do not under any circumstance spend your hard earned money on a survey when you don’t even know the price of the boat.
    SEVEN
    1979 53' MY Hull #563
    Antioch, California

I would not want any repairs done by the seller. Same way with buying a house. The work will be shoddy. Adjust the price. I would double my estimates for repairs , with an older boat you will find more wrong as you dive into fixing things.
    JMooney
    61 MY 1983 #341
    “Jerrie”
    Miami , FL

Thank you
    appreciate the responses.
    Felix

I am a surveyor and I always recommend that buyers do an engine survey before they pay me to do a regular survey. Most brokers I deal with want to do both surveys on the same day so they don’t have to invest 2 days or more in surveys, but this is wrong. If the engines do not survey well then why also pay for the regular survey.
    Mahalo V
    1974 53 Motoryacht
    Hull Number 406
    San Diego, Ca. Ready 32 Nordic Tug, Brunswick Ga.

I wouldn't pay for surveys until I already have a contract. I also don't pay for surveys unless the seller is willing to allow a brief water test. If the boat can't make it 20 minutes without the engines overheating, excessive vibration, or something or another breaking, then what's the point in paying for surveys. Everyone will tell you that's some big no-no, but I haven't had trouble with people accommodating that request over the years. It's how I bought my last probably 5 boats.

Agree with the last couple posts. I'd at least expect the seller to fire up the engines and prefer willingness to take her out for a short (even 15 min) trip. Don't need to get up on plane, just to make sure systems operate and it will make it on an official sea trial. Then negotiate price. Then do engine and primary surveys.

10. Re: Buying a hatteras

Quote Originally Posted by MJER View Post
    Agree with the last couple posts. I'd at least expect the seller to fire up the engines and prefer willingness to take her out for a short (even 15 min) trip. Don't need to get up on plane, just to make sure systems operate and it will make it on an official sea trial. Then negotiate price. Then do engine and primary surveys.
    I understand your logic, which is 100% logical, BUT you have no idea how many people who have no intention of buying anything show up at boats wanting a free boat ride for their family (with even free beverages included if lucky) then don’t want to leave afterwards. Brokers nip that shit in the bud right quick. Those people ruin it for everyone else.
    Last edited by Retired1; 09-08-2022 at 02:02 PM.