Welcome to the Hatteras Owners Forum & Gallery. Sign Up or Login

Enter partial or full part description to search the Hatteras/Cabo parts catalog (for example: breaker or gauge)
+ Reply to Thread
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 1 2

Re: Buying a hatteras

Quote Originally Posted by Retired1 View Post
    I understand your logic, which is 100% logical, BUT you have no idea how many people who have no intention of buying anything show up at boats wanting a free boat ride for their family (with even free beverages included if lucky) then don’t want to leave afterwards. Brokers nip that shit in the bud right quick. Those people ruin it for everyone else.

Haha, yep I hear you. I did that for a few months with my old Sea Ray, it got old quick. Caused me to probably sell it lower than I should have just to quit with all the joy riders.

By the time someone has negotiated a contract and given a 10% deposit, the odds of them looking for a joyride are pretty low. Especially on bigger boats where chances are the buyer is from out of town…

It s pretty standard to include a short sea trial to verify boat is worth surveying before the full fledged sea trial during surveys.
    Pascal
    Miami, FL
    1970 53 MY #325 Cummins 6CTAs
    2014 26' gaff rigged sloop
    2007 Sandbarhopper 13
    12' Westphal Cat boat

3. Re: Buying a hatteras

Quote Originally Posted by Pascal View Post
    By the time someone has negotiated a contract and given a 10% deposit, the odds of them looking for a joyride are pretty low. Especially on bigger boats where chances are the buyer is from out of town…

It s pretty standard to include a short sea trial to verify boat is worth surveying before the full fledged sea trial during surveys.
    Talking about people wanting a sea trial before negotiating a price, much less even just writing a check. What buyer isn’t from out-of-town? It was pretty amazing all the “buyers” wanting to see boats on short notice when actually they were just killing time til their Cruise Ship arrived. It certainly wasn’t standard with me, or any brokers or owners I know to give a “short sea trial” before survey day. The logistics of owners, captains, being available on short notice squashed that idea even if a real buyer. You’re right there on the bay, but boats up the Miami River and especially the New River are propositions that require many hours and $$. Heck, the logistics of arranging the schedules of surveyors, buyers, sellers, and haul out timing isn’t usually any quick thing either. And that’s after a negotiated price, amd a deposit sitting in escrow.

Make me an offer, when we finally agree on a price, give me a deposit and we go for a ride. I like driving my boat.
    FTFD... i drive a slow 1968 41c381

Quote Originally Posted by Retired1 View Post
    Talking about people wanting a sea trial before negotiating a price, much less even just writing a check. What buyer isn’t from out-of-town? It was pretty amazing all the “buyers” wanting to see boats on short notice when actually they were just killing time til their Cruise Ship arrived. It certainly wasn’t standard with me, or any brokers or owners I know to give a “short sea trial” before survey day. The logistics of owners, captains, being available on short notice squashed that idea even if a real buyer. You’re right there on the bay, but boats up the Miami River and especially the New River are propositions that require many hours and $$. Heck, the logistics of arranging the schedules of surveyors, buyers, sellers, and haul out timing isn’t usually any quick thing either. And that’s after a negotiated price, amd a deposit sitting in escrow.
    That's not what I said though. I go ahead and negotiate the price and pay the deposit, but before I am going to spend $5k-10k or more on engine surveys and regular surveys I will insist on taking the boat out briefly. The seller or broker can drive I don't care, and nobody has to make me free drinks, I just want to see that the major stuff works first. Surveys cost good money these days. If the boat has excessive vibration, won't plane for a couple minutes without the engines overheating, generator doesn't work, or any of the common stuff that's usually misrepresented on listings, then what's the point in paying a surveyor to spend 2 days finding that out. I have never had somebody say no to that. If they did, I'd reject the boat and walk away, contractually that's my right as I'm still within the inspection period.

Exactly. Someone who goes thru the trouble of viewing a boat, negotiate, put down a deposit isn’t looking for a joyride.

As to the time it takes to go down the Miami river, that’s no big deal. 45 to 60 minutes max each way at idle speed… 10 gallons of fuel if even that. Same with FTL’s new river. Yes it gets a little more complicated with boats over 100/120’ as they usually get towed but no big deal under that.

If an owner isn’t willing to spend a couple of hours to sell his boat, he can wait for another buyer
    Pascal
    Miami, FL
    1970 53 MY #325 Cummins 6CTAs
    2014 26' gaff rigged sloop
    2007 Sandbarhopper 13
    12' Westphal Cat boat