Welcome to the Hatteras Owners Forum & Gallery. Sign Up or Login

Enter partial or full part description to search the Hatteras/Cabo parts catalog (for example: breaker or gauge)
+ Reply to Thread
Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 1 2 3

Re: Need advice on learning skills for Hatteras living

I have $8K in my budget for a captain. I hope this will get me about 80 hours of initial hands-on training spread over the first 2-3 weeks. Does this seem like a realistic amount? I do realize that the location of the boat we choose might add on the cost of airline tickets to that $8K, just trying to make sure that I have thought it through and planned correctly.

Quote Originally Posted by zigzag930 View Post
    Freeboard provides good advice on both points.

By the way, unless you have experience operating a yacht of this size, you probably won't be able to get insurance on the boat until a captain signs off on your skills. Something to think about.

I ordered the 69th edition, thanks for the pointer.

Quote Originally Posted by rsmith View Post
    Buy this book and read it cover to cover. You will know more than 95% of the internet expurts.

Quote Originally Posted by nmcafee View Post
    I have $8K in my budget for a captain. I hope this will get me about 80 hours of initial hands-on training spread over the first 2-3 weeks. Does this seem like a realistic amount? I do realize that the location of the boat we choose might add on the cost of airline tickets to that $8K, just trying to make sure that I have thought it through and planned correctly.
    I support getting some training, however I did get insurance without any problem through State Farm. Almost no questions asked.
    1980 53' Hatteras MY, Hull # 592

"Moon River" <-- Finally picked a name