We are halfway through our 2-year plan to liveaboard a 53'+ Hatteras. We have already revamped our finances, sold our house, downsized dramatically, and got rid of years of stuff. Now, in my final year of prep I am trying to prioritize my preparation to minimize some of the learning curve pains once we start living aboard. I am a youtube genius but want to better understand systems to help me better troubleshoot what actually needs to be fixed. Here are the areas that I think I need to work on, would love your opinions on what matters and what doesn't.....
  • Troubleshooting electronics - I am currently restoring a 1967 pinball machine to teach myself how to learn schematics and basic wiring logic
  • Mechanics - There is an automotive class at the local community college. How much does car engine knowledge transfer to boat diesel engines?
  • Navigation - I am well versed in aviation navigation so switching to boat nav will be less of a pain
  • Weather - Same, I learned a lot to pass the FAA exam but want to up my knowledge of ocean weather forecasting. Any good suggestions here?
  • General knowledge/OUPV - I am working on OUPV content, I want to have the knowledge portion complete in the next year, then can get the on-water experience portion completed in the first year onboard
  • On-water experience - I am actively looking for crewing opportunities to get some on-water experience. Any great resources to find someone willing to take on a smart newbie for a week or two?
What am I not thinking about that I should be spending energy to learn?
What am I spending energy on that could be spent elsewhere?

I appreciate your advice!